Hon. Mark Whittington (Ret.) has extensive experience resolving insurance matters arising out of a wide variety of industries, including disputes involving coverage, reinsurance, and interpretation of contract language, among other issues. Justice Whittington draws upon his experience as an attorney and from his 25-year career on the bench, and is highly regarded among counsel for his deep understanding of the law.
His wide-raging expertise, paired with his ability to bring parties together to work toward equitable and efficient resolutions, make Justice Whittington well suited to handling even the most complex insurance disputes.
- Insured property investment company’s claims for breach of contract and violations of insurance code against insurer for damages arising from hail damage to eleven commercial buildings
- Breach of contract claims involving interpretation of contract language and liability relating to reinsurance agreements between insurance companies
- Multi-million-dollar claims by commercial property owners against insurer for breach of contract, deceptive trade practices, and insurance code violations arising from damage caused by hurricane
- Coverage dispute between insured, underlying carrier, and excess carrier over damages arising from fatalities caused by release of liquid ammonia from refrigerant lines at cold storage facility
- Appeal of multi-million dollar judgment for insured against umbrella carrier for failure to provide defense and coverage with respect to underlying settlement of defamation claim
- Multi-million-dollar claims by agent against insurance company for failure to pay override commissions from sale of annuity contracts
- Appeal of multi-million-dollar judgment for insured against insurer for bad faith insurance practices
- Coverage issues under homeowner’s policy where visitor was severely injured by toxic chemicals stored illegally
- Claims by insured against broker for negligent failure to secure requested coverage