Mr. Young has successfully mediated or otherwise served as a neutral in numerous commercial and business-related matters, including contract disputes in many industries (especially the financial services industry) and has also successfully mediated or arbitrated many securities and commercial tort matters.
More generally, since joining JAMS as a full-time neutral in 1989, Mr. Young has conducted over 1,750 complex or multi-party mediations and arbitrations in over thirty states (as well as in Puerto Rico) and abroad (including in Rome, Madrid and Zurich). Among the 1,750 matters have been approximately 250 arbitrations, appraisals, or other binding dispute resolution proceedings. He has been appointed as a mediator or special master (for discovery management or settlement implementation purposes) by various federal, state and bankruptcy courts. In addition to serving on the JAMS and JAMS International panels, Mr. Young is a member of the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR) Panel of Distinguished Neutrals and is a member of the panels of the Beijing Arbitration Commission, Singapore International Mediation Center, Afghanistan Centre for Commercial Dispute Resolution and Center for Arbitration and Dispute Resolution in Israel. He is also an elected fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators.
See Mr. Young's arbitration biography for more information about his work as an arbitrator.
Mr. Young has been recognized by various publications and members of the legal community in New York, and more broadly, as a skilled and widely respected mediator and arbitrator. For example, in 2017, Chambers and Partners identified Mr. Young as one of the seven mediators in the United States recognized in Band One and noted “his deft, subtle handling of mediations…”
- Mediated in Madrid -- conducting a portion of the mediation in Spanish -- a loan restructuring between a South American airline and the syndicate of European banks which financed its leasing of airplanes, and also mediated other matters involving insolvent or near-insolvent entities
- Mediated in Rome a dispute over a supply contract between an Israeli company and its British supplier
- Mediated multiple lawsuits brought by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) relating deficient loans and loan practices at banks that failed as part of or following the 2008 financial crisis
- Mediated multiple claims relating to the value of derivatives arising out of the Lehman bankruptcy proceeding
- Mediated multiple “Madoff”-related claims, including those against third party fund managers whose investors held positions in the Madoff fund and appointed by the court to arbitrate privilege issues arising out of the Madoff bankruptcy proceeding
- Mediated multiple claims relating to commercial or residential backed mortgage securities
- Mediated multiple commercial landlord-tenant disputes, such as a number of cases involving large law firms as tenants
- Mediated or arbitrated corporate merger and acquisition-related disputes -- all of which raised contract interpretation, valuation and/or accounting issues -- in the liquor distribution, sports equipment design and manufacturing, glass manufacturing, and computer software and consulting industries, among others, and also mediated various fraudulent conveyance claims arising out of leveraged buyouts or similar transactions
- Mediated or arbitrated numerous contract disputes between suppliers and customers, as well as between joint venture partners, in a wide variety of industries, including energy, software, healthcare, telecommunication, data services, manufacturing, and investment banking and advising
- Mediated various disputes among the owners of small businesses, including service and manufacturing companies and professional partnerships
- Served as a co-court appointed special master -- for discovery management, mediation, and settlement implementation purposes -- in a class action against a law firm with respect to tax shelters
- Served as a court-appointed discovery referee/mediator in a dispute between the purchaser and seller of a television station regarding post-closing price adjustments
- Served as a court-appointed mediator in "plan of reorganization" negotiations in multiple complex Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings, one involving a $110 million cellular telephone company and two raising lender liability claims in addition to difficult business issues
- Served as a neutral in other types of disputes that either involved business entities or raised legal issues or fact scenarios related to those raised in commercial disputes, including multiple securities-related class actions, including claims by investors in public companies regarding alleged misstatements or omissions in financial statements and similar claims by sellers of firms against the public companies that acquired them, numerous construction-related claims involving all types of structures, all types of parties and all types of issues including contract interpretation and insurance coverage questions, and numerous employment-related matters, including executive-level contract and compensation disputes