Since joining JAMS as a full-time neutral in 1989, Michael D. Young, Esq. has conducted over 1,850 complex or multi-party mediations and arbitrations, and has been appointed as a mediator or special master (for discovery management or settlement implementation purposes) by various courts in the United States and elsewhere in the world. He has mediated cases in Madrid, Spain (airline leasing dispute between a French lender and a Venezuelan airline); Rome, Italy (product supply dispute between an English manufacturer and Israeli communications company); Zurich, Switzerland (executive-level employment dispute); and in San Juan, Puerto Rico (claims against failed banks by regulators and private parties, and ancillary insurance coverage issues). Mr. Young has also served as an arbitrator in International Chamber of Commerce proceedings as well as in the International Center for Dispute Resolution and other international forums. He is a member of the CPR International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution Panel of Distinguished Neutrals and is also a member of the panels of the Beijing Arbitration Commission in China, Singapore International Mediation Center, Afghanistan Centre for Commercial Dispute Resolution's International Mediation Panel and the Center for Arbitration and Dispute Resolution in Israel.
Mr. Young has designed dispute resolution procedures for public and private entities outside of the United States, including in Hong Kong (Hong Kong Architectural Services Department) and in Russia (Russian Republic State Arbitrazh System), and has conducted trainings on mediation and other dispute resolution topics in Russia, Israel, Argentina, and Mexico. In addition, he has traveled extensively, visiting most of Western and Eastern Europe, Canada, Jordan, Morocco, Japan, Korea, Cambodia, Vietnam, Turkey, South Africa, Brazil, and China. Mr. Young is conversant in Spanish and often works with clients in that language.
Mr. Young specializes in the resolution of commercial and financial disputes, as well as in insurance coverage, construction, and professional liability mediations and arbitrations.
See Mr. Young's arbitration biography for more information about his work as an arbitrator.
Mr. Young has been recognized by various publications and members of the legal community in New York, and more broadly, as a skilled and widely respected mediator and arbitrator. For example, in 2016 through 2021, Chambers and Partners identified Mr. Young as one of the seven mediators in the United States recognized in Band One and in 2016 noted “his deft, subtle handling of mediations…” In addition, he has been chosen by Best Lawyers as “Mediator of the Year” for New York City for 2018 - 2019. Finally, he has been recognized every year since 2014, including in 2018, in "International Who's Who In Insurance and Reinsurance" and has been recognized every year since 2013, including in 2018, as one of the best mediators from around the world in the "International Who's Who in Commercial Mediation."Representative Matters Involving Non-U.S. Parties
- Arbitration and mediation of many insurance coverage cases involving either London or European-based or off-shore insurers or syndicates, including the mediation of a coverage dispute between a Japan-based insured and a Bermuda-based carrier
- Arbitration of a contract dispute between American and Japanese telecommunications companies, serving as a member of an AAA International Center for Dispute Resolution Tribunal
- Arbitration of a contract dispute between American and Mexican mining companies, serving as a member of an International Chamber of Commerce Arbitration Tribunal
- Arbitration of a contract dispute between French manufacturer of satellites and American communications company
- Arbitration of a contract dispute between American and Irish pharmaceutical companies
- Arbitration of a valuation dispute between Japanese and Korean companies, serving as Chair of an International Chamber of Commerce Arbitration Tribunal
- Arbitration of a real estate-related dispute between an American developer and a Korean investor
- Arbitration of a contract dispute between American and Korean medical device manufacturers
- Mediation of a dispute regarding a "take or pay" supply contract between an American manufacturer of certain raw materials and the Taiwanese company that buys the raw materials for inclusion in its products
- Mediation between a US-based investor and the India-based website regarding his alleged investment
- Mediation between a Chinese manufacturer and the US-based entity that arranged for delivery of parts throughout the world for repairs to the Chinese manufacturer's products
- Mediation of a dispute between an American investment bank and a Chinese bank counter-party regarding the unwind of a derivative instrument
- Mediation of a multi-million dollar collection proceeding by an American insurer against a Mexican re-insurer and its parent corporations, raising issues of Mexican substantive law and procedure, and mediation of a first-party property damage claim involving property in Mexico and raising questions of Mexican insurance law
- Mediation of claims for copyright infringement and violation of "moral rights" statutes (under the laws of Puerto Rico and various Central and South American countries) brought by a composer and singer of Salsa music against a record producer
- Mediation of a contract dispute between a Dutch real estate investment firm and its American asset manager
- Mediation of a contract dispute between a German construction company and an American consultant
- Mediation in Rome of a contract dispute between an Israeli satellite television company and the British supplier of the receptor boxes
- Mediation of a contract dispute between a Middle East-based distributor of software and the American manufacturer
- Mediation of a contract dispute between a Swiss company, which was the prime contractor for the building of a waste water treatment plant in Russia, and its American subcontractor
- Mediation of a contract dispute between a venture capital fund specializing in investments in the Brazilian tech sector and a consultant; and mediation of a contract dispute between an Austrian investment fund manager and its U.S.-based consultant, raising issues of Austrian substantive law and procedure
- Mediations of a contract dispute between Israeli and American software companies, and of a separate, but similar contract dispute between Irish and American technology companies
- Mediation of a contract dispute between two re-sellers of telephone time, one of which was based in Africa and provided services primarily in Africa
- Mediation of a defamation claim brought by a Greek executive with the Greek national airlines against an American law firm
- Mediation in Madrid of a dispute between a South American airline (and its parent, a Spanish airline) and a consortium of European banks, led by a French bank, regarding defaults on financing for the leases of airplanes. British law applied and British attorneys represented the parties
- Mediation of a dispute, under Chilean law, between a Latin American insurer and a German manufacturer regarding liability arising out of a product defect
- Mediation of an employment dispute between the U.S. subsidiary of a large French company and its general counsel
- Mediation of an environmental cleanup cost allocation dispute among the past and current owners, including a large Canadian company, of a mining operation in the U.S.
- Mediation of a finder’s fee claim by an American business broker against two French companies
- Mediation of an investment dispute between an Israeli high-tech company and a Swiss bank
- Mediation of a partnership dispute among seven Iranians involving real estate and other assets in Iran, Israel and the U.S.
- Mediation of a patent dispute between Israeli and Japanese companies
- Mediation of a post-acquisition dispute between an American manufacturer and a much larger French company which purchased one of the American company's business units
- Mediation of a professional liability claim by a large Malaysian company against an American law firm with respect to the development of a power plant in Pakistan
- Mediation of a professional liability dispute between a Dutch pension fund and an American accounting firm, involving complex tax issues
- Multiple mediations of securities-related claims against Chinese-based companies listed on U.S. exchanges
- Mediations of a securities “suitability” dispute between a Chilean investor and a London-based broker relating to a derivative product based on German interest rates, and of similar disputes involving a Venezuelan investor relating to a derivative product based on Russian government bonds, and of a Brazilian investor relating to “Brady Bonds”
- Mediation of a dispute between two Spanish construction companies and a Canadian investment bank regarding advice given to the former about a bid on a Chilean construction project
Completed Virtual ADR training conducted by the JAMS Institute, the training arm of JAMS.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Band One Mediator, Chambers and Partners, 2016-2021
- International Who's Who In Insurance and Reinsurance, 2014-2020
- International Who's Who in Commercial Mediation, 2013-2020
- Mediator of the Year, NYC, Best Lawyers, 2018-2019
- Arbitrator of the Year, NYC, Best Lawyers, 2020-2021
- ADR Champion, American Law Media, 2017
- Recognized since 2006 by various law-related periodicals as one of the "Best Lawyers in America," as a "Super Lawyer," and by Law Dragon as "One of the Top Neutrals/Private Judges in the U.S."
- “The FAA Statutory Framework” and “Discovery,” co-authored with Cliff Bloomfield, Esq., PLI Press Treatise Arbitrating Commercial Disputes in the United States, September 2018
- “Binding Alternative Dispute Resolution and Insurance Claims,” with Cliff Bloomfield, Esq., ABA Section on Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Resolving Insurance Claim Disputes before Trial, June 2018
- Member of Board of Glimmerglass Festival, 2019-Present
- Member of Board of Legal Services NYC, 2017-Present
- Chair of the Board of Legal Services NYC, 2014-2017
- Board of Directors of the JAMS Foundation, 2013-2018
- Vice-Chair of the Board of Legal Services NYC, 2011-2014
- Interim Executive Director of Legal Services NYC, 2010-2011
- JAMS Board of Directors, 2000-2010
- Litigator, Public and Private Sectors, 1978-1989
- J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1978
- A.B., with honors, Brown University, 1975
- “The technology [for our virtual session] worked seamlessly. I was impressed at how effective it was, and with Mr. Young’s facility with it. The breakout rooms worked very well.”
- "In confirming an award issued by Mr. Young in a complex “finder’s fee” dispute arising from a cross-border commercial real estate investment, Justice Alice Schlesinger (N.Y.S. Supreme Court, N.Y. County) stated the following on the record: “... Because in what I would characterize as Mr. Young’s thoughtful and well-reasoned award... Also because of the way in which Mr. Young handled this whole process in a truly conscientious way ... So, I find that this was a really serious attempt to do the legal thing as well as the right thing...”
- "Indeed, throughout the (very) long day, [he] remained a constant beacon of coolness. [His] thoughtful, kind demeanor was key in developing a rapport with my client, who was sensitive to the issues she was discussing. [He] gently prodded her, challenged her, and at times honestly agreed with her, all the while building up a level of trust. At the end of the day, she had immense trust in [him] and [his] judgment. Most of all, [he was] well prepared in respect of the facts and legal issues, and challenged all sides to see things in a clearer, objective light. This helped bridge differences. Ultimately, and on several occasions, [he was] able to pull us all back from the abyss."
- "Michael Young was knowledgeable, prepared, assiduous, and persistent ... He didn't introduce his personality into the mediation, but separate and apart from that he was a friendly and engaging person. Besides that, he is ... always prepared to help outside the time that is allotted for the case."
- "First of all, he's very smart, very fair, really a straight shooter. Understands the tougher issues and can give an experienced evaluative opinion -- only after he's listened for at least half the session or at least he's absorbed the key issues. His persistence is amazing."
- "He's engaging, yet calm and professional. He is confident in his ability to solve cases and interacts well with different personalities."
- "His settlements are the result of his (a) hard work in preparing for the mediation; (b) intelligence and ability to grasp quickly not just the core issues in dispute, but also the nuances of complex matters that must be addressed to achieve a workable solution; and (c) his enormous patience in dealing non-stop and effectively with the attorneys and parties involved."
- "Michael is not afraid to tell the parties what he thinks about any given position or claim they are making, yet will follow the party's lead as to what information is to be communicated to the adversary."
- "He never knocks heads together, but he will present an evaluative position. He knows when the parties need to call it a day, and will follow-up to resolve final points after a few days to think things through."
- "Michael has a way of keeping the door open. ... Michael will make sure the lines of communication are still open and the parties are trying."
- "Michael is a genuinely nice guy. People like to be around other people whom they like -- especially someone you have to spend hours with and in a high stakes situation."
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More