Bruce A. Friedman, Esq. is an accomplished dispute resolution professional who has mediated a wide range of cases including class action matters and served as a sole arbitrator, party arbitrator, and member of arbitration panels.
Mr. Friedman began his neutral career in 2011 following 37 years as a trial lawyer handling cases in the areas of insurance, class action, professional liability, business, real estate, and entertainment. He was lead trial counsel in dozens of jury trials, bench trials, and arbitrations. He routinely represented clients in high-stakes litigation.
In 2013, Mr. Friedman was named by the Daily Journal as one of the top neutrals in California. He has been recognized by Chambers USA in insurance litigation and described as a “great strategist” with a broad commercial litigation practice. In 2012, Bruce was named as the Best Insurance Lawyer in Los Angeles by Best Lawyers in America.
Clients note that he “is greatly respected by peers on either side. He has also been described as ‘very capable’ and ‘commands the respect of juries and judges alike.’” Since becoming a neutral, Bruce was appointed as an arbitrator on several panels. He is also a member of the Independent Film & Television Alliance (IFTA), where he will arbitrate disputes involving the financing, distribution, insurance, and bonding of independent film and television productions.
Comments From Counsel
Read about “What Counsel Say About Bruce Friedman’s ADR Style and Skills.”
- Business/Commercial Disputes
- Mediated and arbitrated contract, partnership, joint venture, post-closing, dissolution, and other business and commercial disputes
- Class Actions
- Mediated several consumer class actions involving false advertising claims, RESPA, TCPA, Privacy, and other statutory claims
- Mediated securities class action matters
- Mediated several wage and hour class action disputes
- Mediated and arbitrated disputes involving the financing, production, distribution, bonding, and insurance of film and television productions
- Mediated and arbitrated coverage disputes involving issues arising under CGL, D&O, Professional Liability, EPL, Surety, Fidelity, Entertainment, Property, Life, and Disability policies
- Handled case involving the California Commissioner of Insurance in insurance insolvency proceedings and litigation disputes
- Involved in several insurance cases involving brokers, agents, and managing general agents in insurance business disputes
- Professional Liability/Malpractice
- Mediated and arbitrated professional liability claims involving lawyers, accountants, realtors, insurance brokers/agents, stock brokers, investment advisors, and professional trustees
- Numerous sexual harassment cases involving law firms, entertainment companies, and hospitality establishments
- Real Estate
- Handled countless buyer/seller/broker disputes
- Mediated real estate disputes, including specific performance, title insurance, mortgage, and other real estate matters, such as development and finance
Comments From Counsel
Read about “What Counsel Say About Bruce Friedman’s ADR Style and Skills”
- "Bruce was recently my mediator for a difficult multi-way dispute (plaintiff-defendant-insurance companies). What impressed me most about Bruce was how he kept at it for over three months after the mediation to get a deal done (even when it looked like it was a lost cause). Bruce has a sharp understanding of complex insurance issues, which is essential for a mediator in complex cases. Bruce is a total pro, and I would definitely use him again."
- LA Attorney
- “I recently settled two cases at mediations with Bruce. He is really good at his craft. He knows when to talk, when to listen, and how to work the room. Many mediators seem more interested in looking smart rather than being smart. Bruce is not only smart, he is personable and a pleasure to work with in the mediation. My clients really liked him, too!”
- J.T., JPT Legal
- “Bruce helped a client recently by conducting a moot mediation of a high-visibility legal malpractice case involving a national firm. The client's attorneys split up, one asserting the client's position and another asserting the defendant law firm's positions. The moot session was preceded by the presentation of materials containing the client's case against the law firm, the law firm's defenses, and the client's rebuttal. A few demonstrative exhibits were used to relate the facts quickly. Bruce took time to point out parts of each side's case that could be made stronger and parts that could be deemphasized or omitted. Bottom line: the client came out of the exercise with a more focused case and better able to advance its positions. Bruce was superb.”
- E.M., The Network of Trial Lawyers
- “I have mediated two cases with Bruce. Both involved three adverse parties. One involved a commercial real estate transaction and claim for commission and another involved a claim against a life insurance broker and company in connection with alleged representations made in connection with the sale of a life insurance policy. Both cases settled and my clients were happy with the results. Bruce was prepared and understood the issues and the practical aspects of the cases. In the second case, he continued the negotiation process after the formal mediation and got the case settled the week following the mediation. I really appreciated Bruce's efforts in continuing to work with me and opposing counsel and his perseverance in settling the case. I highly recommend him and would not hesitate to use him again.”
- F.S.R., Meyers McConnell
- “Defense counsel and I agreed on using Bruce as a mediator for a consumer class action based on his experience in the field. From the outset of the mediation, it was clear that Bruce understood the case and structure of a class action settlement. He was effective in his discussion of the issues in the case and made many helpful and constructive suggestions with respect to the negotiating process and the settlement terms. We settled the case! I would use him again without reservation and recommend him to the class action plaintiffs and defense bar.”
- T.B., Blood, Hurst & O'Reardon LLP
- “I am privileged to have been involved in Bruce's first mediation…. I did not know Bruce was doing mediations until the other side recommended him but I am glad we agreed to use him. From our initial pre-mediation call until final resolution he was engaged in the process. Bruce's willingness to continue to follow up with both sides to settle the matter and his efforts in speaking directly with the clients to explain the issues and possible outcomes should the case proceed to trial were invaluable. I look forward to my next mediation with Bruce.”
- P.G., Liner Law Firm