Hon. Richard A. Levie (Ret.)
is widely respected for his ability to manage and resolve the most complex cases.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Judge Levie mediates, arbitrates, and serves as a case evaluator in a large variety of complex business and commercial disputes, including: insurance, healthcare, technology, contracts, professional liability, tort, antitrust, executive compensation, franchising, partnership product liability, patent, ERISA, accounting, bankruptcy, telecommunications, employment, class actions, and construction cases. He has more than three decades of experience handling complex business and related cases as a litigator, judge, and neutral.
- As a mediator, Judge Levie draws on his professional experiences, ability to relate to people, creativity, and tenacity to work exhaustively with parties and counsel to reach a resolution. As an arbitrator, Judge Levie works with counsel to develop a comprehensive case management order that is appropriate to the particular dispute. He then guides proceedings in an efficient, expeditious, and cost-effective manner towards hearing and decision.
Request or download "What Counsel Say About Judge Levie."
- Contract: mediated disputes involving real estate, computer, and technology contracts, food distribution, construction, art production, and insurance. Arbitrated cases with national and international corporations in the areas of: healthcare, product distribution, franchise agreements, credit card practices, government contracts, software development, computer technology, transportation, securities accounts, and law firm partnership agreements
- Medical Malpractice: mediated medical malpractice claims against healthcare providers and institutions in a variety of medical specialties; mediated multiple personal injury and death cases in a variety of medical specialties; used innovative techniques to achieve resolution beyond solely compensation
- Legal Malpractice: mediated cases against small, medium, and large law firms involving allegations of malpractice in the fields of construction, technology, telecommunications, and issues such as: conflicts of interest, settlement advice, statutes of limitations, and trial decisions
- Accounting/Auditing Malpractice: mediated multiple alleged malpractice claims each involving millions of dollars arising from problems relating to conduct of audits and advice relating to treatment of items on financial statements; arbitrated lengthy case involving alleged failure of audit to find fraud leading to losses asserted to be in the tens of millions
- Law Firm Dissolution: mediated cases regarding departures of a single lawyer and multiple lawyers from existing firms
- Healthcare: mediated cases with allegations of injury to and death of residents of long term group homes and assisted living facilities; mediated dissolution of dental practice; arbitrated contractual disputes between employees and healthcare providers raising allegations of gender discrimination, wrongful discharge, and violations of ERISA and FMLA
- Employment: mediated discrimination cases involving small and very large national corporations in the consulting, accounting, software, retail, and legal fields with allegations of: wrongful termination, retaliation, sexual harassment, hostile work environment, and discrimination based on age, gender, and national origin; arbitrated employment cases alleging wrongful discharge, retaliation, and allegations of violations of federal, state, and local statutes
- Family Law: mediated complex and contentious family matters involving annulment sought on the basis of fraud, division of marital and non-marital assets, spousal and child support
- Discrimination: mediated disputes arising from allegations of racial discrimination in credit applications and real estate transactions. Arbitrated gender discrimination claims brought against a large corporation in the securities industry and equal credit discrimination claims against a government agency
- Personal injury: mediated matters dealing with automobile collisions, elevator injuries, lead paint, tainted blood, products liability, construction site accidents, and electrical shock. Arbitrated personal injury claims resulting from automobile collisions and exposure to asbestos
- Anti-Trust: mediated a dispute between a large, multi-national corporation and a domestic corporation
- Special Master: Served as special master in seven civil cases and one criminal case including the largest civil RICO action ever brought by the United States [U.S. v. Philip Morris et al., (Kessler, J., D.D.C.)]; duties included development of case management orders, resolving procedural, discovery, and privilege disputes and development of trial protocols; the Philip Morris case alone involved the issuance of more than 200 Reports and Recommendations and the supervision of three full-time attorneys; Served as special master in the US v. AT&T/T-Mobile, USA $39 Billion Dollar Antitrust case. Responsible for all Pretrial matters, including case management orders, discovery issues, and privilege disputes. Also, handled all issues involving third party discovery and use of third party information.