Judge Cardenas served on the Orange County Municipal and Superior Court benches for 20 years, presiding over court and jury trials involving health care issues. As a neutral at JAMS since 1996, he has served as a mediator, arbitrator, and discovery referee on hundreds of matters, including health care disputes.
While at JAMS, Judge Cardenas has participated in Continuing Education Programs such as: Delivery of Healthcare and Rescission
presented by Justices Jack Trotter and Steven Stone, with Mike Bidart, Esq., and Robert Gianelli, Esq., as well as Conducting the Judicial Review Hearing
presented by J. Robert Liset, Esq.
- Mediated and arbitrated cases involving the sale of a medical practice and resulting disputes over non-compete and non-solicitation clauses
- Mediated and arbitrated contract disputes between hospitals and contract physicians
- Mediated and arbitrated disputes arising out of hardware and software products sold to medical providers
- Mediated and arbitrated disputes involving major health institutions such as Tenet, Kaiser, Kindred Care, University of California, and many other providers
- Mediated and arbitrated doctor versus doctor disputes arising out of contractual relationships
- Mediated and arbitrated employment related issues arising between staff and administration at medical institutions. These cases included, but were not limited to, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge, wage and hour, slander, racial discrimination, and religious bias.
- Mediated and arbitrated numerous medical and dental malpractice cases
- Mediated disputes between emergency providers and primary health care givers over allocation of costs and fees for care provided to the patient before transfer
- Mediated product defect matters involving the manufacturing and marketing of medical instruments and devices
- See: People v. Heitzman (1994) 9 Cal. 4th 189, in which Judge Cardenas sat as the trial judge on a matter where children were accused of elder abuse perpetrated while caring for their father
- Tried Medicare fraud cases while a sitting judge
- Tried, mediated, and arbitrated cases of alleged Elder Abuse as well as Patient Abuse, including but not limited to allegations of staff negligence, sexual improprieties, and acts of violence