JAMS Cybersecurity & Privacy Practice Group
Resolving Disputes Arising from Cybersecurity Incidents and High-Profile Data Breaches
Data is increasingly available and transferred online, new industries and businesses are born from emerging technologies, and law and policy is evolving in an attempt to keep up with the pace of change in technology. The JAMS Cybersecurity and Privacy Practice Group understands the unique challenges associated with disputes that arise in this ever-changing landscape.
In the event of a privacy incident or data security breach, allow JAMS to facilitate a timely resolution to the matter. While privacy and data security concerns continue to evolve, JAMS has been helping to resolve these matters for many years whether stemming from disclosure of personal information during a credit card transaction, a high-profile data breach, or a coverage matter. The Representative Matters below illustrate the types of matters handled by JAMS neutrals.
Representative Cybersecurity Matters
- Mediation of cyber insurance coverage dispute resulting from hacking of an app offering song tracks for purchase. Issues included whether there had been a security breach as defined by the policy, whether the security breach damaged or destroyed data, and whether costs incurred by the insured were reasonable.
- Mediation involving a nationwide retailer that was hacked and lost credit card account information for all of its customers nationwide. The retailer incurred multi-million dollar costs in addressing the cybersecurity failure. Insurer declined coverage for a significant portion of the claim, based off of a manuscripted cyber insurance policy.
- Mediation of an invasion of privacy class action involving the disclosure of confidential Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms (LTCF).
- Mediation of an insurance coverage dispute involving a lost company laptop containing private health information that resulted in a multimillion dollar fine on the insured for which it sought coverage.
- Mediation of class actions concerning a data breach resulting from a phishing email scam allegedly affecting thousands of current and former employees, plus cross complaint against cybersecurity providers.
- Mediation of consolidated class actions concerning the practice of intercepting and scanning emails in alleged violation of the Stored Communications Act (SCA) and the California Information Privacy Act (CIPA).
- Mediation and settlement allocation of a class action data breach lawsuit alleging a large managed health care organization violated medical privacy laws when certain server drives that contained personal, medical, and/or financial information of patients went missing.
- Mediation of consolidated class action concerning high-profile data breach where the personally identifiable information (PII) of up to 150 million customers was accessed.
- Mediation of class action lawsuit alleging misappropriation of names and likenesses in advertisements of potentially more than 100 million individuals, including minors.
- Mediation of numerous class actions under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) concerning alleged auto-dialing, “cramming,” junk faxes, unauthorized cell phone calls, unsolicited texts, recording of service calls without permission.
- Numerous mediations concerning alleged violations of the California Song-Beverly Credit Card Act where businesses request or require personal identification information such as address, telephone number, zip code, or email addresses related to a credit card transaction.
- Mediation of a class action privacy data breach claim involving the disclosure of individuals taking HIV medications.
- Mediation between medical data management company and new purchaser of company owning the data concerning data protection and HIPPA violations issues.
- Mediation of health care privacy class action alleging breach of California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA).
- Fair Credit Reporting Act claim (FCRA) against one of the largest background check providers by an employee rejected employment based on false information in the credit report.
- Mediation of nationwide class action against mortgage lenders under Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) for insufficient disclosures of loan terms.
- Mediation in class action claim against pharmacy for alleged invasion of privacy in connection with transfer of prescription and patient information to new pharmacy.
- Mediated invasion of privacy claim involving unauthorized use of image on a pornography website.
- Trade name and personal privacy right claim by sports celebrity against advertiser and agency.
- Arbitrator in a data breach dispute in which a client sued a law firm that was the victim of a targeted cyber attack that accessed a particular client's confidential information.
- Special Master and Discovery Referee in large data breach disputes involving the health care industry.
JAMS offers efficiency, speed, and results. In order to save clients time and money, JAMS has instituted procedural options that allow the crafting of a process that is commensurate with the dispute.
Rigorous preparation. Creative solutions. Persistent follow-up. We work diligently every step of the way-from pre-mediation calls to post-mediation follow-up to help all parties arrive at the best possible outcome to their dispute.
Neutral Analysis Services
Unbiased, confidential case evaluation from the best legal minds in the business. We provide attorneys with advisory opinions allowing you to fine-tune arguments, reassess settlement options, manage client expectations—and ultimately proceed with a winning strategy.
October 5, 2018Arbitration, Mediation Can Solve Cyber Insurance Disputes
Arbitration, Mediation Can Solve Cyber Insurance DisputesLaw360
January 24, 2018Hacked? Don't waste time pointing fingers
Hacked? Don't waste time pointing fingersDaily Journal
November 2017Why Arbitration Clauses May Make Sense in Cyber Insurance Policies
Why Arbitration Clauses May Make Sense in Cyber Insurance PoliciesCardozo Journal of Conflict Resolution
January 1, 2017It's the most wonderful time of the year... for cyber criminals
It's the most wonderful time of the year... for cyber criminalsDaily Journal
October 27, 2016Is Cyberinsurance Really Worth It?
Is Cyberinsurance Really Worth It?Law.com
October 6, 2016What You Need to Know Now (and Ask Your Broker) About Cyber Insurance
What You Need to Know Now (and Ask Your Broker) About Cyber InsuranceCorporate Counsel
January 12, 2016Why Companies Should Consider Cyber Risk Coverage
Why Companies Should Consider Cyber Risk CoverageInsideCounsel.com
July 12, 2018Dispute Resolution: Is Mediation the Answer for Cyber Claim Disputes?
Dispute Resolution: Is Mediation the Answer for Cyber Claim Disputes?Webinar
May 6 - 8, 2018Federal Judges Association 9th Quadrennial Conference
Federal Judges Association 9th Quadrennial ConferenceWashington, D.C.
March 8, 2018Cyber Forum 2018: Data Security at the Intersection of Law and Business
Cyber Forum 2018: Data Security at the Intersection of Law and BusinessBeverly Hills, CA
July 24, 2017Resolve Your Coverage and Cyber Dispute Quickly and Away from Prying Eyes
Resolve Your Coverage and Cyber Dispute Quickly and Away from Prying EyesWebinar
June 20, 2017The Ten Commandments of Cyber Security
The Ten Commandments of Cyber SecurityWebinar
June 20, 2017What Constitutes an Act of Cyber War Under International Law?
What Constitutes an Act of Cyber War Under International Law?Webinar
April 28, 2017Implementing the New DFS Cybersecurity Regulation
Implementing the New DFS Cybersecurity RegulationNew York, NY
April 26, 2017Why ADR for Cyber Coverage Disputes Makes Sense
Why ADR for Cyber Coverage Disputes Makes SenseNew York, NY
Local Solutions. Global Reach. TM
JAMS successfully resolves business and legal disputes by providing efficient, cost-effective and impartial ways of overcoming barriers at any stage of conflict. JAMS offers customized dispute resolution services locally and globally through a combination of industry-specific experience, first-class client service, top-notch facilities and highly trained panelists.
Subscribe & Stay Updated
Our latest thinking on the issues that matter most in mediation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution.
- Renee Spertzel
Practice Development Director email@example.com
Two Embarcadero Center, Suite 1500
San Francisco, CA 94111