Resolve Your Dispute Using JAMS via Video, Web or Audio Conference
Videoconferences and conference calls are tools that JAMS has long used to successfully resolve thousands of disputes of all kinds. JAMS mediators and arbitrators (neutrals) are adept at managing the resolution process whether they are conducting an in-person or virtual hearing. Additionally, JAMS neutrals and case managers receive ongoing training in the latest videoconferencing technology and best practices.
In addition to traditional conference calls, JAMS offers a number of videoconference options for mediations and arbitrations based on case size and complexity, client comfort level and cost considerations.
Zoom is a popular online platform that can be used for mediations and arbitrations of almost any size. JAMS provides the Zoom accounts and there is no cost to the parties. It offers breakout rooms for mediations. Zoom is self-administered and requires minimal preparation by participants, as detailed below. JAMS neutrals and staff are available to assist you with this convenient and user-friendly tool.
EndisputeTM, a proprietary JAMS mediation platform provided by CourtCall,® includes a high level of moderated service for a modest fee. A CourtCall representative is available for the entire session to ensure that technical aspects of the process are handled so the parties can focus on settling their dispute. Endispute also allows private breakout rooms for each party and document sharing capability. This option is particularly ideal for smaller, straightforward cases that can be resolved in a few hours. To determine if your case is appropriate for Endispute, contact a JAMS Case Manager or visit jamsadr.com/endispute.
How do I prepare for an online mediation or arbitration with JAMS?
- Determine which platform is best for your case (see below for more information).
- A JAMS Case Manager will provide you with the appropriate paperwork prior to your session. Parties will need to agree in advance on issues such as whether the session can be recorded and whether all participants must be on camera.
- Just as you would with an in-person mediation or arbitration, confirm that all parties and representatives have blocked off time and are fully prepared to participate in the videoconference at any moment.
- Determine how you and your clients will communicate if you are participating from separate locations.
- Determine what documents you intend to share and ensure that they are forwarded to the neutral before the session.
JAMS Online Mediation or Arbitration with Zoom
What are the technical requirements?
- Download Zoom to your computer or tablet in advance of your session at zoom.us. Though less optimal, you may also participate with your smartphone.
- Confirm that:
- your computer audio is enabled
- you have a videocam on or attached to your computer
- your internet connection is working
- you have a suitable backdrop and good lighting
- Consider doing a test run, if possible, in advance of your scheduled conference in order to address any technical concerns.
How does the process work?
- You will receive an invitation to a Zoom videoconference. This will include both the link and the password.
- The JAMS neutral will be the host of the meeting.
- Depending on whether your videoconference involves a mediation or arbitration, the neutral may have you join parties in the main Zoom meeting room or go directly into a breakout session.
- The neutral may use the mute button at various stages during the process to eliminate background noise.
- If you are in the same location as your client, then you may also use the mute button (as appropriate) to have a sidebar conversation with your client.
- During mediation sessions, you may also have a conversation with your client – and with the mediator – in one of the breakout rooms. Conversations in that room will be limited to invitees only.
JAMS EndisputeTM Online Mediation
What are the technical requirements?
- The Endispute online dispute resolution (ODR) platform is easily accessible, requiring only a phone and a computer or tablet with a webcam to conduct a mediation from anywhere.
How does the process work?
- Once you have determined that your case is appropriate for this platform, you can submit a case inquiry at jamsadr. com/endispute.
- An Endispute ODR case manager will then help parties select a neutral from the Endispute ODR panel and assist in the case convening process.
- Once the mediation session has been scheduled, confirmed participants will receive information about how to access the Endispute ODR mediation session, including dial-in instructions for audio as well as a link to access the video portion of the session.
- The parties will receive a fee agreement and confidentiality agreement which must be completed and returned in order to confirm the mediation session.
Disclaimer / Notice:
JAMS is providing parties with top-quality Alternative Dispute Resolution Services when in-person proceedings are not possible. Neutrals are available to conduct mediations, arbitrations and other matters via Zoom, EndisputeTM, conference calls and any other platform agreed to by the parties.
Zoom has become a particularly popular platform for JAMS clients. While JAMS is not able to control Zoom security policies and procedures, JAMS neutrals and associates have been trained to make best use of the security protocols provided by the Zoom platform. Parties to matters at JAMS have reported good results using the Zoom platform because of its ease of use and the fact that it is cost-free to them.
For questions or concerns related to the security or privacy of any platform, please visit the website for that particular platform.
Virtual ADR Resources
Additional Questions? Contact Us.
West Region, U.S.:
Ed Cruz (San Francisco)
East & Central Region, U.S.:
Shavonne Applewhite (New York)
Local Solutions. Global Reach. TM
JAMS successfully resolves business and legal disputes by providing efficient, cost-effective and impartial ways of overcoming barriers at any stage of conflict. JAMS offers customized dispute resolution services locally and globally through a combination of industry-specific experience, first-class client service, top-notch facilities and highly trained panelists.