Effective, Timely Solutions to Complex Energy Disputes
Energy & Utilities Mediation, Arbitration and ADR Services
JAMS neutrals understand the nuances and complexities of the energy industry. We excel at resolving disputes involving a variety of public and private constituencies, including matters regarding service interruptions, Clean Air Act (CAA) compliance, supply contracts, royalty interests, international manufacturing, breach of joint venture agreements, product claims and others.
Stakeholders in the fiercely competitive energy industry - including private companies, public regulatory agencies, landowners, customers and capital markets - have discovered that alternative dispute resolution (ADR) offers distinct advantages over traditional litigation in a wide variety of matters.
JAMS, the world’s largest private ADR provider, offers comprehensive resolution services in domestic and international energy disputes involving:
- Distribution, transmission and regulation of oil, natural gas and electricity
- Construction of pipelines and energy facilities, including those providing nuclear, solar, hydropower and wind power
- Lease termination
- Product and service contracts
- Oil and gas titles
- Exploration and production
- Power purchase agreements
- Other energy-related commercial, transactional and contractual issues
Effective Energy & Utility ADR Options for Every Stage
Mediation with an experienced JAMS neutral preserves critical relationships among energy industry stakeholders, eliminates expensive delays and offers privacy and confidentiality.
Arbitration utilizing a seasoned JAMS arbitrator with industry expertise and a custom process to expedite discovery and eDiscovery can be faster, more effective and less burdensome than protracted litigation.
Early case assessment and other evaluative processes available at JAMS offer a preview of potential litigation outcomes and provide valuable information about the strengths and weaknesses of your case.
Efficient, responsive, detail-oriented case administration is a given at JAMS, no matter what ADR process you choose. With their unmatched ADR training and thorough understanding of local markets, JAMS Case Managers ensure that even the most complicated cases run smoothly.
International Energy Mediators and Arbitrators
The JAMS Energy Practice Group is composed of international energy ADR experts, including prominent former energy counsel, former regulators and retired federal judges. JAMS neutrals have decades of experience and an extensive track record in administering and resolving large, complex disputes. That depth of knowledge - combined with the respect of courts, lawyers, regulatory agencies and other government entities - uniquely qualifies JAMS to handle energy sector matters.
Resolution Centers Worldwide
JAMS is adept in providing cost-effective, impartial and efficient dispute resolution at any stage of conflict, anywhere in the world. Located in the hearts of business districts, JAMS has offices in more than 27 major cities across the globe.
Representative Energy & Utility Cases
- Complex disputes concerning private and public power, waste treatment, co-generation and remediation facilities involving multiple parties, hundreds of separate issues, eight-figure claims and counterclaims.
- Mediations Involving:
- Assessment of damages and allocation of payments arising from outage situations relating to service interruptions from grid issues to explosions
- Dispute between Massachusetts environmental regulators and regulated industry regarding Clean Air Act (CAA) compliance requirements
- Dispute between a major utility and a coal mine owner over the terms and implementation of a 20-year coal supply contract
- Dispute between landowners and major gas producer regarding acreage involved in royalty interests
- Investor dispute involving the operation of a methane gathering facility
- Largest electric rate increase application in state history ($200 million annually) for the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio
- Disputes involving wind turbines in two states and international manufacturers
- Multi-Million-Dollar Arbitrations Involving:
- Long-term supply of electricity, oil and gas in Alberta
- Developer claim against a solar project contractor in Arizona involving 45,000 ground-mounted photovoltaic panels
- Breach of joint venture agreement involving a major U.S. onshore drilling contractor and an Algerian state-owned oil company, including valuation of seized drilling equipment located in Algeria (ICC)
- Contractor claims over design, fabrication and erection of a structural steel rack and process piping related to oil refinery construction
- Solar tracker system sale dispute over the purchaser’s claim of failure to meet specifications
- Allocation of sale proceeds and forfeiture of interests arising from the sale of a large gas field by two production companies to a major gas company
- Oil company product claim that a pressure gauge failed to operate properly, leading to a well blowout
JAMS offers efficiency, speed, and results. In order to save clients time and money, JAMS has instituted procedural options that allow the crafting of a process that is commensurate with the dispute.
Rigorous preparation. Creative solutions. Persistent follow-up. We work diligently every step of the way-from pre-mediation calls to post-mediation follow-up to help all parties arrive at the best possible outcome to their dispute.
Neutral Analysis Services
Unbiased, confidential case evaluation from the best legal minds in the business. We provide attorneys with advisory opinions allowing you to fine-tune arguments, reassess settlement options, manage client expectations—and ultimately proceed with a winning strategy.
Local Solutions. Global Reach. TM
JAMS successfully resolves business and legal disputes by providing efficient, cost-effective and impartial ways of overcoming barriers at any stage of conflict. JAMS offers customized, in-person, virtual and hybrid dispute resolution services through a combination of first class client service, the latest technology, top-notch facilities, and highly trained mediators and arbitrators.
Subscribe & Stay Updated
Our latest thinking on the issues that matter most in mediation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution.
JAMS Energy Practice Group
- Todd Drucker
Practice Development Director firstname.lastname@example.org
620 Eighth Ave. 34th Floor
New York, NY 10018