Resolving High-Stakes, High-Tech Disputes
Life Sciences Mediation, Arbitration and ADR Services
JAMS neutrals understand the nuances and complexities of the life sciences industry, from the collaborative relationships, global supply chains and licensing deals to the R&D process and resulting intellectual property. The industry’s attributes create an environment where disputes can be expensive and highly disruptive. Because they are sensitive to the commercial and regulatory pressures in the life sciences field, JAMS neutrals are adept at working with global parties to craft practical and commercially advantageous solutions to disputes at any stage. We also offer innovative virtual mediation and arbitration services that keep cases moving regardless of extenuating circumstances.
Alternative dispute resolution (ADR) offers a cost-effective, efficient and confidential route to preserving value and managing time, allowing life sciences companies of all types to focus on their core objectives without value-destructive distractions and the potential negative publicity of litigation.
JAMS is a leader in life sciences ADR
JAMS is the world’s largest private in-person and online ADR provider. We excel at resolving disputes involving a variety of constituencies, including drug manufacturers, biotech companies, medical device makers, chemical companies, research, diagnostic and manufacturing organizations, hospitals and others. Our panel includes former litigators and retired federal, state and appellate judges who have significant experience and credibility in the life sciences arena.
JAMS neutrals act as arbitrators, mediators, special masters (federal and state), claims administrators and neutral evaluators. They bring to each dispute valuable scientific knowledge and deep experience with the specific relationships and agreements upon which life sciences relies.
In addition to our accomplished panel, JAMS offers efficient case management as well as in-person and videoconferencing options.
Representative ADR matters in life sciences
We are called upon by innovative life sciences organizations, from startups to small labs to global pharmaceutical companies, to resolve disputes involving the following matters:
- Patent validity, scope, ownership, valuation and infringement
- Licensing/sublicensing rights and royalty rates
- Inventorship, patent and commercialization rights and responsibilities
- Theft of trade secrets
- Nondisclosure agreements
- Misuse of confidential information
- Assigning confidential status to documents
- Wrongful termination of development agreement
- Failure to use “commercially reasonable” efforts
- Clinical trial compliance
- Premature termination of clinical trial
- Reimbursement for drug study costs
- Hatch-Waxman cases between branded drug patent owners and generic competitors
- Breach of contract
- Business disruption
- Termination of long-term supply agreement
- Distribution and sales agency rights and obligations
- Supply chain performance
- Biological materials storage agreements
- Failure to achieve sales and revenue targets
Funding and securities
- Valuation of private company shares
- SEC violations, including fraud class actions
- Allocation of settlement funds
- Mass torts and wrongful death
- Product liability and personal injury
- False advertising and trade defamation
JAMS offers efficiency, speed, and results. In order to save clients time and money, JAMS has instituted procedural options that allow the crafting of a process that is commensurate with the dispute.
Rigorous preparation. Creative solutions. Persistent follow-up. We work diligently every step of the way-from pre-mediation calls to post-mediation follow-up to help all parties arrive at the best possible outcome to their dispute.
Neutral Analysis Services
Unbiased, confidential case evaluation from the best legal minds in the business. We provide attorneys with advisory opinions allowing you to fine-tune arguments, reassess settlement options, manage client expectations—and ultimately proceed with a winning strategy.
Local Solutions. Global Reach. TM
JAMS successfully resolves business and legal disputes by providing efficient, cost-effective and impartial ways of overcoming barriers at any stage of conflict. JAMS offers customized dispute resolution services locally and globally through a combination of industry-specific experience, first-class client service, top-notch facilities and highly trained panelists.