We Embrace Diversity
The concept of diversity encompasses acceptance and respect. It means appreciating that each individual is unique, and recognizes that with those differences come different strengths. It is about understanding each other and celebrating the rich dimensions of diversity contained within each individual. These can be along the dimensions of age, race, color, gender, sexual orientation, disabilities, religious beliefs, or other ideologies.
The "business case for diversity" embraces the notion that in a global marketplace, a company should strive to employ a diverse workforce. At JAMS, we believe that diversity significantly enhances the quality of the services we provide our clients. We value and encourage diverse viewpoints and leverage them to guide our business.
Diversity at JAMS
We know that diversity significantly enhances the quality of our services. We value diverse viewpoints and leverage them to guide our business. At JAMS, diversity starts at the top with our senior management and is reflected throughout our entire workforce, which is comprised of:
Diverse Senior Management
Women Senior Management
Promoting Diversity in ADR
JAMS is also steadfast in pursuing increased diversity among ADR practitioners. We recognize the benefits of recruiting and retaining the most qualified ADR professionals inclusive of varied ethnicity, race, gender, religion and sexual orientation.
We encourage you to partner with us in a collective effort to bring more diversity to ADR. We invite law firms, corporations and legal organizations to:
- Consider women and ethnically diverse neutrals when evaluating your case and participating in the selection of ADR professionals
- Let us help you measure progress by tracking your firm’s neutral selection process
Diversity and Inclusion Arbitration Clause
Businesses increasingly recognize that diverse workforces produce better results, and many have robust initiatives to promote inclusivity in terms of gender, ethnicity and sexual orientation. Parties may choose to include diversity as a consideration when selecting an arbitrator or arbitration panel. The following clause, modeled after the Equal Representation in Arbitration pledge, attempts to promote diversity while recognizing that other qualifications are also important when selecting an arbitrator.
The below sample clause may be inserted into a contract to promote diversity in the selection of an arbitrator or arbitration panel.
The parties agree that, wherever practicable, they will seek to appoint a fair representation of diverse arbitrators (considering gender, ethnicity and sexual orientation), and will request administering institutions to include a fair representation of diverse candidates on their rosters and list of potential arbitrator appointees.
If you are a law firm or corporation with comments or an interest in partnering with us on the subject of diversity in ADR, please contact Mark Smalls, JAMS Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, at 949.224.4602 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Affinity Groups & Minority Organizations
JAMS is proud to be involved with local and national affinity groups and organizations including:
- American Bar Association Diversity & Inclusion, Office for Racial and Ethnic Diversity
- Asian American Bar Association of New York (AABANY)
- Asian Law Alliance
- Asian Law Caucus
- Atlanta Bar Association - WIP (Women in the Profession)
- BASF In-House Minority Counsel
- Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom (BALIF)
- Black Women Lawyers Association of Greater Chicago (BWLA)
- California Women Lawyers (CWL)
- Cuban American Bar Association (CABA)
- Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA)
- Korean American Bar Association of Northern California (KABANC)
- Kozyak Minority Mentoring Foundation
- La Raza Centro Legal
- National Asian Pacific Bar Association (NAPABA)
- National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL)
- National Bar Association (NBA)
- National LGBT Bar Association
- NY Jewish Lawyer's Guild
- San Francisco La Raza Lawyers Association (SFLRLA)
- Southern Nevada Association of Women Attorneys (SNAWA)
- Women in Construction (DC)
- Women Lawyers of Sacramento (WLS)
- Women's Bar Association of Illinois (WBAI)
- Women’s Bar Association of Massachusetts
Local Solutions. Global Reach. TM
JAMS successfully resolves business and legal disputes by providing efficient, cost-effective and impartial ways of overcoming barriers at any stage of conflict. JAMS offers customized dispute resolution services locally and globally through a combination of industry-specific experience, first-class client service, top-notch facilities and highly trained panelists.