Hon. Anthony J. Carpinello (Ret.) has earned a reputation for his ability to expeditiously and professionally resolve complex litigation. He is regarded by both counsel and parties alike as being knowledgeable, courteous, and totally committed to the settlement process. Prior to his 14 years of distinguished public service in the state judiciary on both the trial and the appellate levels, he was in private practice for 20 years where he concentrated on commercial litigation including all aspects of business matters and banking with particular emphasis on loan documentation and collection, real estate, negotiable instruments, enterprise sales and acquisitions, general corporate advice and high-profile entertainment matters.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- As a trial judge, responsible for an Individual Assignment Part averaging 600+ pending cases, deciding motions and conducting trials (jury and non-jury); actively conferencing cases for settlement; and handled all aspects of civil cases, including common law negligence, Labor Law claims, medical and legal malpractice, fraud, breach of contract, corporate dissolutions, and all other categories of civil actions
- As an appellate judge, participated in adjudicating appeals in civil, criminal, family and Surrogate’s Court cases from originating courts in the 28 counties surrounding the New York Capital District region
- As both a trial judge and as an appellate judge, mediated thousands of personal injury claims, business disputes, and actions pending in New York State Supreme Court such as:
- Settled a multi-million dollar action between a public utility and a private power investor which alleged breach of contract over the sale and redevelopment of an historic hydro-electric facility which settlement required both Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and State Historic Preservation Commission approvals
- Settled a multi-million dollar action between partners of a shopping center and apartment complex development company alleging fraud and breach of fiduciary duty involving allocation of construction profits and tax credits
- As an Associate Justice of the New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Third Department, Justice Carpinello has participated in the adjudication of over 12,000 reported cases. These cases include medical malpractice, personal injury, breach of contract, fraud, challenges to administrative determinations, corporate dissolutions, and all other categories of civil, criminal, and matrimonial actions.
Representative Entertainment Matters
- Mediated case between major college sports league agent and his former employer, a large entertainment/media talent agency, involving a multi-million dollar dispute over commissions for television royalties
- Mediated matter involving the publication of a revenge pornography video on a major hip-hop entertainment website
- Resolved $140 million business dispute over ownership and royalties of a company co-founded by major hip-hop entertainment celebrity