Hon. Rosalyn Chapman (Ret.) has enjoyed a long and well-respected career as a federal magistrate judge in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (greater Los Angeles area) and on recall in the District Court for the Northern District of California (San Francisco and San Jose).She has conducted more than 400 settlement conferences, handled a wide range of civil matters, and managed discovery and related proceedings in thousands of cases, including class actions and multi-district litigation.
Prior to her appointment to the federal bench, Judge Chapman served for eighteen years as an administrative law judge for the State of California. As such, she presided over thousands of administrative hearings, including public and private employment cases. Additionally, Judge Chapman has been a certified labor arbitrator.
After retiring from the federal bench, Judge Chapman served as a part-time judge on the United Nations Appeals Tribunal for five years. The Appeals Tribunal is the second and final tier of the administrative justice system (or grievance process) for staff members of the United Nations, related funds and programs, and other international non-governmental organizations.
During the course of her judicial career, Judge Chapman has spent a considerable amount of time on a wide-range of employment matters, including, for example, breach of employment contract matters, wage and hour claims, sexual harassment, retaliation, racial and gender discrimination, ERISA, wrongful termination and labor disputes.
Judge Chapman is available for mediation, arbitration, neutral analysis and as a discovery special master or referee.
- Breach of Employment Contract
- Employer's action for breach of non-compete clause against former employee
- Wrongful termination actions
- Age discrimination action in violation of Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA)
- Group action by insurance company employees for breach of employment contracts regarding payment of commissions
- Action by salesperson for breach of employment contract and Labor Code provisions
- Action by business owner against former employee for breaches of employment contracts and non-disclosure agreements and theft of trade secrets, with wage and hour counter-claims
- Actions raising issue of classification as independent contractor/employee status
- Wrongful termination actions claiming misuse of employer’s information
- Physician’s action against office manager and management company
- Lawyer’s action for breach of partnership agreement against former law firm
- Accountant’s action for breach of partnership agreement against former employer
- Wage and Hour
- Action by residential care facility employee for violation of Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Numerous individual and class actions under Labor Code for failure to pay minimum wage, required off-the clock activities, failure to pay overtime, failure to provide meal and rest breaks, failure to reimburse for work-related expenses, pay stub violations, accounting upon termination violations, and the like
- Action by Secretary of Labor against California employer with more than ten locations to enforce FLSA
- Wrongful Termination, Discrimination and Harassment Claims
- Former partner's action for age and disability discrimination and wrongful termination against major accounting firm
- Sexual harassment action in violation of FEHA by female employee against well-known restaurant for customer’s (third-party) misconduct
- Group action for wrongful termination raising claims of racial and national origin discrimination in violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act against hotel and its owner, with EEOC as party
- Group action by military reservists against municipality for violation of Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)
- Wrongful termination actions by employees for violation of California Family Rights Act (CFRA)
- Action for medical condition discrimination in violation of FEHA and CFRA
- Gender discrimination and retaliation class action under Title VII against major company
- Numerous actions for disability discrimination and failure to accommodate in violation of FEHA
- Numerous actions for age discrimination in violation of FEHA
- Religious discrimination action under FEHA
- Group wrongful termination action against municipality raising claims of racial discrimination and retaliation
- Whistleblower and retaliation action against major university
- Sexual abuse claim by back-up singer against tour manager and management company, raising issue of independent contractor/employee status
- Numerous actions challenging terminations and other disciplinary actions under collective bargaining agreements in the retail food industry
- Action by air traffic controller challenging disciplinary action under collective bargaining agreement
- Multiple actions by school teachers challenging reductions in force or lay-offs by school districts
- Class action under federal and state plant closure statutes
- Numerous actions by public employees or civil servants challenging terminations and other disciplinary actions
- Multiple actions under Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) challenging breaches of fiduciary duty regarding medical, disability, pension benefits, stock options, and the like