Hon. Morton Denlow (Ret.) joined JAMS following 16 1/2 years of distinguished service as a Magistrate Judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. During his time on the bench, Judge Denlow presided over thousands of matters in both the pretrial and trial stages. He has conducted over 2,000 settlement conferences.
A nationally recognized expert in settling cases, Judge Denlow has continued to prove invaluable to parties involved in intractable disputes at JAMS. His breath of experience as an advocate, attorney neutral, and a settlement-focused judge makes him an ideal choice to mediate the complex case.
Since coming to JAMS in October 2012, Judge Denlow has had special success in mediating matters involving alleged wrongdoing by state and local officials, including:
- Section 1983 Claim:
- $4.95 settlement with city of Chicago alleging failure to hospitalize and excessive force (taser) resulting in death
- $22.5 million settlement of matter brought against the City of Chicago for failure to provide medical care following arrest
- $4.5 million settlement brought against several suburban communities for 5-year false imprisonment
- $155,000 settlement of matter brought against police officer for alleged on-duty sexual harassment of plaintiff
- Equal Protection Claim: $1.4 million settlement of suits brought against municipality for failure to process rape kits