Prior to joining JAMS in 2014, Lynn Duryee was a judge for 21 years in Marin County, where she was known for her superb settlement skills. Most of her career was in the civil division, where she presided over, managed, and settled thousands of civil cases. Outside of her duties at court, she taught hundreds of courses to judges throughout California in all aspects of civil litigation, evidence, ethics, and dispute resolution. She served as Dean of the B.E. Witkin Judicial College. Along with attorney Matt White, she co-wrote Mastering Mediation: 50 Essential Tools for the Advanced Practitioner (ThomsonReuters, 2012). She serves as an Adjunct Professor at University of San Francisco School of Law, where she teaches Mediation.
Judge Duryee has extensive experience in mediating, trying, and arbitrating a wide range of construction disputes, including condominiums, single family dwellings, and commercial buildings. She has handled hundreds of claims between general and sub contractors, general contractors and owners, and owners and design professionals.
- Served as a Special Master for a San Mateo construction defect complaint, cross-claim, and counterclaims involving owner, general contractor, and 13 subs on high-end home; settled case in one session.
- Arbitrated a claim between a painting contractor and a general contractor for breach of contract.
- Settled a construction defect case involving a high-end home in San Francisco by owner against various sub-contractors.
- Settled a construction defect case of beach home by owner against general involving defective windows and flashing.
- Settled a claim by large condominium association against general contractor for construction defects, water intrusion, and failure to complete work as promised.