Judge Flaherty has been a full time neutral at JAMS since 1998, handling hundreds of employment disputes as a mediator, arbitrator and as a court appointed referee. Prior to joining JAMS, he served over 20 years on the Santa Clara County Superior Court. Judge Flaherty is known for his ability to relate to all parties in employment disputes and his ability to achieve resolution while keeping in mind business considerations as well as sensitivities of parties. Judge Flaherty’s experience in employment cases includes executive compensation disputes, all types of discrimination, harassment, and breach of employment contract disputes.
- Arbitration dispute between CEO of three entities that did business internationally and owner of holding company that controlled the entities
- Mediation between bank president and bank
- Arbitrated workplace discrimination based on race, worker’s comp injury and retaliation for violation of public policy against large multi-state based defendant
- Mediated school district employment involving a teacher and school district
- Mediated age discrimination dispute involving tax preparation
- Mediated sexual harassment and constructive termination claim against restaurant owner
- Mediated employment dispute over commissions and profit sharing
- Mediated claim for retaliation against multinational chip maker in which Plaintiff contended he was terminated because he refused to engage in illegal activity
- Mediated claim of wrongful termination based on disability discrimination
- Mediated case involving interference with contract/employment and involved application of the law of Washington and Illinois as well as California.
- High tech employment dispute involving founders of high tech firm and successor corporation
- Arbitrated dispute between partner and law firm involving allocation of law firm distributions