Throughout his distinguished 29-year career as a District Judge, a Senior District Judge, and as a mediator and arbitrator with JAMS, Judge Ashworth has been known for his preparation, knowledge of the law, and ability to grasp key issues quickly. Recognized for his efficient and impartial administration of even the most complex matters, he has earned a reputation for fairness and independence.
Judge Ashworth’s qualifications include an ability to resolve disputes in the particularly nuanced areas of entertainment and sports, where he has arbitrated and mediated matters involving breach of contract, real property, ownership rights, employment/sexual harassment, trade secrets, professional malpractice, and civil rights, among others.
- Arbitration alleging breach of contract and misuse of proprietary information claims brought by National Basketball Association (NBA) team and former head coach/Hall of Famer
- Selected to arbitrate dispute between National Basketball Association (NBA) team and major sports network regarding contract issues
- Case involving land acquisition for major Texas automobile racing speedway
- Claims by member of Professional Golfers’ Association of America (PGA) tour involving inverse condemnation and nuisance issues
- Dispute between premier Major League Baseball (MLB) agencies; claims concerned representation of a free agent who had signed a $30.5-million contract and for tortious interference with a contract
- Mediation between student athlete and world-renowned training facility over claims of sexual harassment and assault; settlement further complicated because family member of owner was competing in impending Summer Olympic Games (and became a gold medalist), and business would be affected by adverse press
- Mediation with the estate of a television broadcasting legend and his former business partner over the ownership rights to reruns of broadcasts that originally spanned over 20 years
- Mediation involving National Football League (NFL) Hall of Famer with claims of breach of contract and assault
- Former All-Pro National Football League (NFL) player’s claim of accounting malpractice arising from a union-approved investment that lost significant value and was not properly claimed as a write-off on tax returns
- Title VII case between a professional wrestler and a large wrestling federation alleging violations of civil rights by racial stereotyping, and specific contract claims
- Selected as a Best Lawyer in Alternative Dispute Resolution/Mediation, D Magazine reader survey, 2011-2014
- Co-Author of chapter, “Judicial Aspects of the Securitization Case,” Mortgage and Asset Backed Securities Litigation Handbook, Thompson West Publishing Company, 2008
- Advanced Judicial Certificate, Texas College of Advanced Judicial Studies, 2004
- Mediation Training, Course Director, Texas College of Advanced Judicial Studies, 1993 and 1997
- Frequent Lecturer on Ethics, Trial Management, and Mediation, including for the Texas Center for the Judiciary and the Texas Association of Court Administrators
- Senior District Judge, sitting by assignment, 2003-present
- Judge, 86th District Court of Texas, 1981-2002
- District Attorney, Kaufman County, Texas, 1978-1980
- General practice, 1973-1978
- J.D., University of Texas School of Law, Austin, TX, 1973
- B.S., University of Texas at Austin, 1970
- "Judge Ashworth continues to be one of the finest mediators I've ever worked with."
- "Judge Ashworth was great. He got to the heart of the matter and I was very pleased with the process."
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More