A full time mediator and arbitrator since opening the Chicago JAMS/ENDISPUTE office in 1982, Bill’s international practice includes the resolution of over 1,000 complex matters arising in 50 states and foreign countries, as well as appointments by federal and state judges in 10 states, co-mediations with a sitting federal judge and a variety of experts, and training for state, federal, and foreign governments in Asia and Eastern Europe.
Prior to 1982, he practiced law, concentrating on commercial, employment, and insurance related litigation, representing both plaintiffs and defendants.
- Alleged Trust Department Negligence/Environmental Clean up. Separate federal and state litigation cases brought against bank and its trust department for inaction by predecessor trust department, cross claims by previous owners of property, and multiple insurance issues all arising out of complex environmental cleanup
- Allocation of Family Inheritance/Trust Department. Multiparty mediation among several brothers, a Bank Trust Department, and an outside law firm involving the allocation of a family inheritance
- Bank as Stakeholder, dispute among heirs/trustees. Bitter estate mediation involving several wills, land trusts, substantial real estate, and three generations of a large family
- Estate Tax/Potential Malpractice. Various mediations involving individuals, family members, family business, trust and former counsel, and novel tax issues which had not yet been raised by federal or state authorities
- Estate/Stepmother and Son in Business. Trust as stakeholder in matter between stepmother and son who took over the family paving business and requested a buyout
- Land Trust/Real Estate/Lawyer as Client. Mediation involving several decades of bank/trust management of commercial property and a roof collapse with lawyer as client and counsel
- Probate/Underrepresented Parties. Mediation among family members and law firm as stakeholder to develop joint approach to the best interests of underrepresented parties before the Probate Court
- Trust Department and Financing/Franchise. Mediation involving several banks, 21 franchises, nearly two dozen real estate transactions, and a bitter $25M lawsuit
- Trust Department/Outside Law firm. Multiparty matter involving several brothers, a Bank Trust Department, and an outside law firm involving the allocation of a family inheritance arising out of a family business
- Underrepresented Interests/Diverse Heirs/Casino Real Estate. Litigation involving trust department and several generations, including minors and underrepresented interests, arising from casino real estate and gambling-related funding
- Will Contest/Family Business. Mediation that ended will contest involving family business, former judge, and several parcels of land
- Will Contest/Land Allocation Among Divergent Interests of Multiple Sons. Mediation that ended will contest involving several parcels of land and several diverse beneficiaries of their father's estate