A full time mediator and arbitrator since opening the Chicago JAMS/ENDISPUTE office in 1982, Bill’s international practice includes the resolution of over 1,000 complex matters arising in 50 states and foreign countries, as well as appointments by federal and state judges in 10 states, co-mediations with a sitting federal judge and a variety of experts, and training for state, federal, and foreign governments in Asia and Eastern Europe.
Prior to 1982, he practiced law, concentrating on commercial, employment, and insurance related litigation, representing both plaintiffs and defendants.
Representative Surety/Fidelity Bond Experience: Coverage, Construction, Banking, and Securities Issues
Bill's Surety and Fidelity Bond experience arises out of dozens of Construction, Banking, Securities and Insurance matters successfully mediated. Particularly in multiparty construction matters involving defects, delay, or liquidated damages, there are generally direct or indirect surety issues. He has worked with a majority of the major carriers and their clients in both public and private construction, FDIC, and broker related matters.
- Banking/FDIC Bank closures involving Employee Fraud and related novel Issues. Mediation of several FDIC insured Bank closures after significant employee fraud and a variety of novel issues involving Fidelity Bonds.
- Building Failure: 33 international parties, 32 stories, $42M damages/coverage issues. Allocation of damages among viable and non viable but insured and bonded parties.
- Substantial Public Wastewater Management Project involving Capture Shafts to capture overflow storm water. 9 figure claim involving Sureties, Builders Risk Design and construction issues
- Condominium Construction/Roof Collapse. Claim by Association against a bankrupt builder.
- 70 year old Condominium Split Open During Adjacent Excavation. Allocation of damages among viable and non viable but insured parties.
- Nuclear, Coal, and Turbine Power Plant Construction. Several mediations involving owners claims against semi viable and bankrupt contractors and subcontractors.
- Oceanfront Construction. Mediation involving 100+ member class, 16 separate defendants (several directly represented by their surety) and the construction of a luxury, ocean front condominium.
- Public Construction. Complex public construction projects involving stadiums, airports, universities, sewage treatment facilities involving bonded distressed contractors and subs.
- Securities. Several mediations arising out of claims generated by a very successful former indicted lawyer who successfully changed his identity, joined several securities firms and bilked hundreds of investors and several brokerage firms, and subsequently vanished.