Former U.S. District Court Chief Judge James Holderman joins JAMS after serving for 30 years on the federal bench in Chicago. During his judicial career, Judge Holderman resolved more than 10,000 cases in all areas of federal jurisdiction. He conducted hundreds of successful pretrial mediation conferences and hundreds of trials.
Judge Holderman is a nationally recognized expert in the area of intellectual property, particularly patent law, and advises the Federal Circuit with respect to rules of practice and court procedure.
The Judge has adjudicated or mediated IP disputes in a variety of contexts, including nationwide multi-district litigation (MDL) matters:
- Patent litigation involving numerous cases filed nationwide by patent holder and major wireless equipment manufacturers; settled after Judge Holderman determined the RAND royalty for the standard essential patents at issue (MDL 2303), one of the first judges in the country to address the issue
- Patent infringement litigation involving competing foreign and domestic manufacturers in the fiber optics industry, each of which owned and asserted multiple patents creating several cases; settled after two separate jury trials on separate patents, after several summary judgment rulings and after multiple appeals, which were affirmed or dismissed
- Patent litigation involving a major athletic wear company and patent inventorship issues; settled after pretrial rulings and before trial
- Trademark/copyright infringement brought by Chicago Cubs against owners of rooftop establishments surrounding Wrigley Field; settled before trial after pretrial rulings
- Trademark and trade dress infringement: several cases, including an action by multi-million dollar candy manufacturer against a competing company; settled after injunction, trial, and appeal
- Trademark litigation involving computer generated printing fonts against foreign manufacturer and its American distributor; settled after injunction ruling
- Trademark litigation between competitors in folding-chair market as to the issues of infringement, registration, and functionality; settled after hearing and trial
- Copyright action regarding alleged foreign copying of computer code; settled post-trial
- Copyright action alleging infringement by major music star and group; settled pretrial
- Trade Secret Litigation: Presided over, settled, and tried many trade secret cases involving allegations of former employees’ misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of fiduciary duty