Eleissa C. Lavelle, Esq. is a member of JAMS Global Engineering and Construction Group, mediating and arbitrating complex construction, construction defect, surety, and related disputes. With more than 30 years of experience in the construction and associated fields as a respected litigation, appellate, and transactional attorney, Ms. Lavelle brings a calm, knowledgeable, and common-sense approach to managing complicated and contentious cases. She has been involved in the development, financing, and construction of shopping centers, office buildings, warehouse facilities, hotel-casinos, residential projects, condominium-hotels and other mixed-use developments, water treatment facilities, highway projects, correctional facilities, courthouse facilities, and schools.
Recognized for her experience and objectivity, Ms. Lavelle is skilled at managing complex and high-conflict disputes arising in construction to maintain or restore constructive working relationships both during construction and after project completion. Ms. Lavelle’s extensive experience has given her an exceptional understanding of the interests and objectives of parties involved in resolving disputes that arise during the course of construction.
Ms. Lavelle holds an L.L.M. Degree in Dispute Resolution (Straus Institute, Pepperdine University School of Law) and is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- Arbitrated disputes involving allegedly deficient landscape design and defective construction of public college facility and private commercial projects
- Mediated dispute between contractor and subcontractor regarding delivery of non-conforming materials to waste water treatment project
- Mediated dispute between owner and tenant concerning scope and cost of tenant improvements in a warehouse-office facility
- Arbitrated and mediated disputes between sureties, contractors, and public owners involving claims against payment and performance bonds
- Arbitrated disputes of breach of contract and fiduciary duty by design professionals in public and private contracts
- Mediated construction defect disputes involving multi-family and single-family residential projects and mixed use projects, including resolution of insurance coverage issues
- Designed dispute resolution processes to improve communication to allow completion of a public project
- Mediated claims arising from allegedly defective design and placement of barricades during highway construction
- Mediated lien priority disputes between owners, contractors, and lenders
- Mediated and arbitrated coverage disputes and claims involving payment and performance bonds
- Resolved delay and disruption claims involving construction of a public convention center, public schools, and a nuclear medicine research facility
- Arbitrated and mediated disputes involving indemnity agreements between principals and sureties
- Mediated insurance coverage issues in connection with defective design and construction claims
- Mediated disputes involving the enforcement and priority of mechanic’s liens