Lester J. Levy, Esq. has been a full time neutral for more than 20 years. Mr. Levy has handled complex securities and financial markets disputes involving large banking institutions, hedge funds, directors and officers, municipalities, and trusts, with complex issues as well as intricate relationships between multiple parties. As an arbitrator in financial disputes, Mr. Levy is known for his ability to quickly grasp complex facts and for his willingness to make fair and thoughtful decisions based on the facts and the law. Mr. Levy serves as a mediator, arbitrator, settlement master/ombudsman and special master/referee in areas such as:Dissolutions of publicly traded institutions and private partnershipsComplex securities disputes, including class actionsConsumer finance, credit & banking class actionsBankruptcy claims and preferencesAntitrust lawComplex insurance instruments
Matters handled by Mr. Levy include the following:
- Stull v. Bank of America: Settled Qui Tam action brought on behalf of the State of California and more than 1,400 political subdivisions during the first phase of trial. More than $5 billion in damages sought, alleging that Bank of America failed to escheat unclaimed funds, charged excess fees, and failed to make timely and proper investments.
- In re Providian Credit Card Cases: Settlement Ombudsman for largest settlement ever by a U.S. credit card company in a consumer banking case. Settlement of coordinated federal and state cases nationwide involved 24 million class members who alleged that Providian had engaged in widespread misconduct by charging cardholders unlawful, excessive interest and late charges, and by promoting and selling to cardholders “add-on products” promising illusory benefits and services.
- Beloit Liquidating Trust: Mediated several hundred claims and preferences in a $6 billion bankruptcy. The mediations were conducted in various locations pursuant to a comprehensive ADR order of the Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware. The case involved secured and unsecured creditors.
- In re BKP Securities: Mediated class action by Limited Partners of hedge fund against General Partner and related entities.
- Hodge v. Franklin Select Realty Trust; Vigneau v. Franklin Resources: Mediated class action alleging various misconduct regarding real estate trusts.
- In re MediaVision: Mediated national securities class action.
- Barnett v. Glenborough Federal Bank: Judge for all purposes, by Special Master appointment, presiding over 5,000 limited partnership claims against a bank including deciding motions for summary judgment in class action involving limited partnerships and financial institutions.
- In re Fountain View, Inc.: Supervised systematic mediation of multiple elder abuse cases against bankrupt nursing home. Pursuant to an order of Bankruptcy Court in the Central District of Los Angeles, the cases were mediated prior to any consideration of lifting the automatic stay.
- In re ManuLife: Mediated class action arising from the sale of "vanishing premium" whole life insurance policies involving approximately 160,000 policyholders. Allegations involve the representations made to policy holders about the length of time it would take the amount of the annual dividends to overtake the amount of the annual premium payments.