In his nearly 40 year career as a litigator, trial judge, and neutral, Judge Levie has had first-hand, practical experience with numerous cases involving the health care industry. As a neutral, Judge Levie has mediated and arbitrated numerous, complex cases implicating a variety of issues in the field of health care.
As a mediator, Judge Levie draws on his professional experiences, ability to relate to people, creativity, and tenacity to work exhaustively with parties and counsel to reach a resolution. As an arbitrator, Judge Levie works with counsel to develop a comprehensive case management order that is appropriate to the particular dispute. He then guides proceedings in an efficient, expeditious, and cost-efficient manner toward hearing and decision.
- Health care matters that Judge Levie has resolved include:
- Mediation of multiple cases involving allegations of failure to diagnose, improper diagnoses, failure of physicians to communicate regarding patient care, surgical errors, and anesthesia administration errors with numerous medical specialties and sub-specialties; cases involved either death or catastrophic injury with assertions of substantial economic and non-economic losses
- Mediation of nine cases involving allegations of wrongdoing against group homes or assisted living facilities leading to personal injury or death
- Mediation of class action involving insurance coverage obligations relating to payment of medical charges
- Mediation of lawsuit in a pending bankruptcy proceeding involving revocation of medical privileges
- Mediation of dissolution of a dental practice
- Arbitrator (panel chair) in a multi-million dollar contract dispute between two large health care providers
- Arbitration of employment dispute between former employee and health care provider raising wrongful termination, ERISA, and FMLA claims
- Acted as arbitrator in breach of contract, gender discrimination, and wrongful discharge by a physician against a health care facility
- Arbitration of breach of contract dispute between health facility and physicians’ group