Jed D. Melnick, Esq.
has been involved in the mediation and successful resolution of hundreds of complex international disputes with an aggregate value in the billions of dollars. He has mediated over one thousand disputes, published articles on mediation, founded a nationally ranked dispute resolution journal, and taught young mediators. Mr. Melnick handles a wide variety of cases, however, has significant experience in complex financial cases including derivatives and major bankruptcies. He often works alongside the Hon. Daniel Weinstein (Ret.), one of the nation's preeminent mediators of complex civil disputes, to handle the largest and most complex international cases.
In 2010, 2011, and 2012, Mr. Melnick was selected as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
"Rising Star," the only "Rising Star" in the Alternative Dispute Resolution category in Pennsylvania. He was also selected to the 2010 list of Pennsylvania "Lawyers on the Fast Track," a recognition given to 30 Pennsylvania Lawyers under the age of 40 by Legal Intelligencer
and the Pennsylvania Law Weekly
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Mr. Melnick mediates cases with aggregate values of billions of dollars annually and works to design innovative processes tailored to unique, complex, and highly sensitive cases
- Leading settlement efforts and working closely with Alabama District Court Judge Scott Coogler in a three-day mediation in Tuscaloosa, Alabama in MBUSI v. Cobasys
- Part of team that settled Adelphia Communications Corp. v. Deloitte & Touche LLP, pending in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas
- Part of team that settled numerous securities actions arising out of the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy including the Class Action against former Directors and Officers of Lehman, the Underwriters, and numerous individual securities and ARS related matters
- Part of team that settled numerous securities actions arising out of the Adelphia bankruptcy including the Class Action and numerous related actions against the former Directors and Officers, Underwriters, as well as Adelphia's former law firm and auditor
- Successfully mediated creditor claims against the former chairman of a major international law firm alleging mismanagement leading to the firm's Chapter 11 bankruptcy
Representative International Matters
- Chinese Securities Litigation
- In Re: HQ Sustainable Maritime Indus., Inc. Securities and Derivative Litigation
- In Re: China Medicine Securities Litigation
- China Green Derivative Litigation
- Murdeshwar v. SearchMedia Holdings Limited, f/k/a Ideation Acquisition Corp, et al.
- Contract Disputes: including Exelon Generation Company, LLC v. General Atomic Technologies Corp., Sunoco, Inc. v. Epsilon, and matters involving GM and Mercedes Benz
- Coverage Litigation: including In Re: UnumProvident Corp., Aon, SCOR, American Business Financial Systems, Inc.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- In Re: El Paso (Kinder Morgan acquisition) Corporation Shareholder Litigation
- Securities Class Actions: involving Adelphia, Enron, Lehman Brothers Directors, and other major NYSE and NASDAQ corporations including:
- In Re: Sadia S.A. Securities Litigation
- In Re: Tronox, Inc. Securities Litigation
- Shapiro v. Matrixx Initiatives, Inc.
- In Re: Transkaryotic Therapies, Inc. Securities Litigation
- In Re: SCOR Holding AG Securities Litigation
- In Re: Taro Pharmaceutical Industries Securities Litigation
- Other Matters
- Mediated a dispute related to investments in the US sub-prime market involving various insurance carriers (from the US, UK, Belgium, and Netherlands) and a Belgium holding company.
- Settled a class action, involving insurance coverage issues, related to a reverse merger case of a China based entertainment kiosk company.
- Settled various proceedings in the Bankruptcy case of a China based pharmaceutical holding company.
- Settled a class action, involving insurance coverage issues, related to a reverse merger case of a China based online retail company. The insurance carriers in this dispute included US and China based insurers.
- Settled a contract dispute related to breaches of certain representations of intellectual property rights in a Purchase Agreement between a US affiliate of a Japanese company and a US company.
- Settled a class action, involving insurance coverage issues, related to a reverse merger case of a China based environmental resource management company.