Lawrence W. Pollack, Esq. serves as a neutral arbitrator, mediator, Special Master, and Discovery Master of complex business/commercial and insurance matters. Mr. Pollack specializes in enabling, through negotiation or arbitral proceedings, the resolution of difficult disputes with significant claims among multiple parties with divergent interests.
Mr. Pollack has thirty years of experience that he employs at JAMS to address commercial disputes, business, partnership and joint venture dissolution actions, legal malpractice matters, product liability cases, aviation controversies, and sophisticated issues in all aspects of domestic and international insurance and reinsurance, including those relative to claims, subrogation, policy language, regulation, and business strategy.
Legal 500 has observed that Mr. Pollack is described by both policyholders and their insurers as “personable and thoroughly commercial, perfect for insurance litigation.” As a result, Mr. Pollack is often the neutral selected by both policyholder and insurance counsel for dispute resolution services.
Mr. Pollack joined JAMS in 2010 after twenty-eight years in private practice, at Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP and its predecessor firms, LeBoeuf Lamb Greene & MacRae LLP, and LeBoeuf Lamb Leiby & MacRae. Mr. Pollack’s practice often required travel to Europe for work on cases venued in the U.S. involving parties based overseas. By virtue of that experience, Mr. Pollack is now a member of the JAMS International panel, and serves as a neutral in matters with an international dimension. In 1999, Mr. Pollack began a 10-year service as Co-Chairman of his firm’s Litigation Department. Mr. Pollack became a member of the firm’s Executive Committee in 2003 and served on that committee until his retirement from the firm in 2009.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Political Risk
- Professional Liability
- Appointed Special Master in UBS Securities LLC et al v. Highland Capital Management, LP et al (New York Supreme Court, Commercial Division)
- Appointed arbitrator in various significant matters, both as sole arbitrator and member of tripartite arbitration panels, for business/commercial, legal malpractice, and insurance disputes
- Mediated a dispute over the dissolution of a joint venture between a U.K. company and a U.S company, with issues of insolvency at stake, relating to the manufacture and development of electrical vehicles
- Mediated $50M coverage dispute between two oil companies with respect to MTBE losses under Bermuda foreign policy
- Mediated a dispute involving mortgage-backed securities between multiple parties including banks and title insurance companies
- Mediated various matters involving diverse claims of legal malpractice, some brought by trustees of large funds regarding complex financial instruments
- Mediated the potential dissolution of a mortgage brokerage
- Mediated claims of breach of distribution between a Canadian pharmaceutical distributor and a U.S. based pharmaceutical supplier
- Mediated a wine distributor partnership dissolution involving disputes regarding valuation, inventory, and partnership interests
- Mediated breach and antitrust claims between luxury auto dealerships
- Argued leading case on parameters of federal court jurisdiction under the Air Traffic Safety and Stabilization Act, following the September 11, 2011 disaster
- Settlement of intellectual property claims in large-scale case pending in federal court in Denver, Colorado, and subsequent protection of settlement agreement against charges of unenforceability
- Litigated and eventually negotiated settlement (following favorable verdict after six-week jury trial) of major bad faith insurance coverage action that implicated all aspects of the pertinent Florida law