Lawrence W. Pollack, Esq. serves as a neutral arbitrator, mediator, Special Master, and Discovery Master of complex business/commercial and insurance matters. Mr. Pollack specializes in enabling, through negotiation or arbitral proceedings, the resolution of difficult disputes with significant claims among multiple parties with divergent interests.
Mr. Pollack has thirty years of experience that he employs at JAMS to address commercial disputes, business, partnership and joint venture dissolution actions, legal malpractice matters, product liability cases, aviation controversies, and sophisticated issues in all aspects of domestic and international insurance and reinsurance, including those relative to claims, subrogation, policy language, regulation, and business strategy.
Legal 500 has observed that Mr. Pollack is described by both policyholders and their insurers as “personable and thoroughly commercial, perfect for insurance litigation.” As a result, Mr. Pollack is often the neutral selected by both policyholder and insurance counsel for dispute resolution services.
Mr. Pollack joined JAMS in 2010 after twenty-eight years in private practice, at Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP and its predecessor firms, LeBoeuf Lamb Greene & MacRae LLP, and LeBoeuf Lamb Leiby & MacRae. Mr. Pollack’s practice often required travel to Europe for work on cases venued in the U.S. involving parties based overseas. By virtue of that experience, Mr. Pollack is now a member of the JAMS International panel, and serves as a neutral in matters with an international dimension. In 1999, Mr. Pollack began a 10-year service as Co-Chairman of his firm’s Litigation Department. Mr. Pollack became a member of the firm’s Executive Committee in 2003 and served on that committee until his retirement from the firm in 2009.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Political Risk
- Professional Liability
- Appointed Special Master in UBS Securities LLC et al v. Highland Capital Management, LP et al (New York Supreme Court, Commercial Division)
- Appointed arbitrator in various significant matters, both as sole arbitrator and member of tripartite arbitration panels, for business/commercial, legal malpractice, and insurance disputes
- Mediated a dispute over the dissolution of a joint venture between a U.K. company and a U.S company, with issues of insolvency at stake, relating to the manufacture and development of electrical vehicles
- Mediated $50M coverage dispute between two oil companies with respect to MTBE losses under Bermuda foreign policy
- Mediated a dispute involving mortgage-backed securities between multiple parties including banks and title insurance companies
- Mediated various matters involving diverse claims of legal malpractice, some brought by trustees of large funds regarding complex financial instruments
- Mediated the potential dissolution of a mortgage brokerage
- Mediated claims of breach of distribution between a Canadian pharmaceutical distributor and a U.S. based pharmaceutical supplier
- Mediated a wine distributor partnership dissolution involving disputes regarding valuation, inventory, and partnership interests
- Mediated breach and antitrust claims between luxury auto dealerships
- Argued leading case on parameters of federal court jurisdiction under the Air Traffic Safety and Stabilization Act, following the September 11, 2011 disaster
- Settlement of intellectual property claims in large-scale case pending in federal court in Denver, Colorado, and subsequent protection of settlement agreement against charges of unenforceability
- Litigated and eventually negotiated settlement (following favorable verdict after six-week jury trial) of major bad faith insurance coverage action that implicated all aspects of the pertinent Florida law
- Completed Virtual ADR training conducted by the JAMS Institute, the training arm of JAMS
- Certified Arbitrator, ARIAS U.S.
- Panel Member, ARIAS (U.K.)
- The International Who's Who Legal: Mediation, 2019
- The International Who’s Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers, 2005-2019
- Best Lawyers in America, 2007-2022
- Super Lawyers, 2007-2010, 2014-2015
- Partner, Dewey & LeBoeuf, 2007-2009
- Co-Chairman, Litigation Department
- Member, Executive Committee
- Partner, LeBoeuf, Lamb, Greene & MacRae, 1995-2007
- Co-Chairman, Litigation Department, 1999-2007
- Member, Executive Committee, 2003-2007
- Counsel to the Firm
- Partner, LeBoeuf, Lamb, Leiby & MacRae, 1988-1995
- Associate, LeBoeuf, Lamb, Leiby & MacRae, 1981-1987
- Law Clerk, Honorable Henry Bramwell, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of New York, 1979-1981
- J.D., Brooklyn Law School, 1979 (Second Circuit Review Editor, Law Review)
- B.A., High Honors, University of Rochester, 1976
- "You get all the credit for having the wisdom and judgment to pick Larry as the mediator."
-General Counsel to Major Sports Association directed to Outside Counsel
- “Larry, I want to personally thank you for doing yet another masterful job of resolving an important matter for our client. Our client was very pleased with your skills. Looking forward to working on our next challenge together.”
-Counsel for Insurer
- "Thanks for all of your efforts, Larry. I had my doubts that we would ever get to this point, but I guess that's what a good mediator does; makes what seems impossible, possible."
-Insurance Company Representative
- "Thank you, thank you. I am so impressed and grateful for your handling of this process, for your skill, composure, intelligence, deftness. It’s a pleasure to experience someone who is doing work that completely suits him.”
"Hats off to you, Larry. The smartest decision the parties made was choosing you as our mediator.”
-Counsel for Premier Accounting and Business Management Firm
"I am delighted that you found Larry Pollack to be helpful. If I had a case involving myself or my family that needed to be settled, I would go to Larry because his demeanor and perseverance create an optimal environment for the negotiation of an amicable resolution of a dispute.”
-International ADR Professional and Complex Commercial Litigator directed to Mediation Attorneys
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More