Prior to joining JAMS, Judge Sundvold spent twenty years on the Orange County Superior Court, including serving on the Court’s High Impact Trial (HIT) team and the Complex Civil Panel. He has resolved a large number of commercial and real estate property disputes involving eminent domain, inverse condemnation, homeowner associations, and valuation disputes.
While on the Superior Court, Judge Sundvold served as a mediator or participated in settlement conferences almost daily. Numerous trial days were saved and trips to the appellate courts avoided as a result of these efforts. He has earned a reputation for being a fair, hard working, tireless judge, skilled at managing a heavy caseload of complex matters and settling the difficult claims.
Judge Sundvold has successfully resolved real property matters including the following representative cases.
- Real property and eminent domain case involving the taking of a gas station for street widening and public improvements
- Real property and eminent domain case involving the taking of a strip mall by Cal Trans for highway improvements
- Real property and inverse condemnation case involving the effect of alterations of adjoining state highway on adjacent businesses
- Lot line dispute involving home improvements made more than twenty years prior
- Case alleging improper notice of foreclosure
- Negotiated resolution of 50-year ground lease for mobile home park
- Fraud and misappropriations claim of joint ventures for purchase of land adjacent to Indian casino
- Dispute between family members over ownership and control of large beach front mobile home park
- Dispute over leasehold interest in land adjacent to flood control channel with repeating flooding of property