As a trial lawyer, trial judge, and ADR neutral, Curtis E. von Kann has handled hundreds of disputes involving a wide variety of insurance issues. He has served as a mediator, evaluator, arbitrator, and special master for multiple private and governmental parties in numerous cases presenting such issues.
- Automobile Insurance. Multiple arbitrations of amounts owed by automobile insurers for personal injuries arising from automobile accidents in which insurers admitted liability of their insureds
- Business Liability Insurance. Mediation of claim against gas station’s business liability insurer by customer who was abducted from gas station and raped
- Construction Insurance. Mediation of dispute between owner of hotel and insurer concerning coverage for alleged negligent supervision by owner’s retained representative, resulting in huge cost overruns
- Directors and Officers Liability Insurance. Mediation of claim by directors and officers of holding company that their insurer’s refusal, on grounds of fraud, to cover losses incurred in settling litigation constituted a bad faith breach of insurance policy
- Employee Defalcation Insurance. Mediation of claim by international business that its insurer improperly denied, as insufficiently supported, claim for reimbursement of losses allegedly caused by embezzlement of former manager of company’s Italian subsidiary
- Environmental Insurance. Mediation of dispute between large manufacturing company and its insurer concerning coverage for environmental clean-up costs
- Group Health Insurance. Neutral case evaluation of $160 million of claims and counterclaims between Health Care Financing Administration and two national group health insurers concerning provisions of the Medicare as Secondary Payor Act
- Insurer/Broker Dispute. Mediation of dispute between insurer and one of its largest brokers concerning amount due broker for sale of insurance policies
- Life Insurance. International mediation of claim by Greek beneficiaries of life insurance policy against insurer that denied coverage on grounds of insured’s alleged suicide
- Malpractice Insurance. Mediation of multiple claims alleging malpractice of insured doctors and lawyers in which insurers disputed liability, causation, extent of damages, and/or coverage
- Managed Care Liability Insurance. Mediation of $50 million claim by leading managed care provider against its liability insurer for partial reimbursement of sums paid to settle national class action brought against provider by subscribers alleging improper denial of healthcare claims. When parties were unable to reach settlement, they agreed to accept Judge von Kann’s determination of a reimbursement amount between specified minimum and maximum figures.
- Property and Business Interruption Insurance. Service as special master to determine the appropriate measure of damages for multiple property damage and business interruption claims brought by five casualty insurers against municipality found liable for flooding of several retail buildings
- Satellite Insurance. International arbitration of claim by satellite radio service for $80 million payment by its satellite insurer on account of alleged failure of two satellites to function properly
- Workers Compensation Insurance. Mediation of claims by employer against its workers compensation insurer for allegedly utilizing wrong rate tables in calculating premiums due