Peter H. Woodin, Esq. is a highly skilled dispute resolution professional with extensive experience in the negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and settlement of complex, high stakes, multi-party litigation. He has practiced full time as a mediator and arbitrator since 1993, and has served as court-appointed special master, with responsibilities for settlement efforts and/or discovery oversight, in a variety of federal litigations.
He has served as both private neutral and court-appointed special master in numerous personal injury and tort matters, many involving multiple parties and implicating complex issues of insurance coverage and allocation of settlement monies among multiple parties.
- Mediated settlement of claims alleging design and manufacturing defects against machine manufacturer, distributor, and component parts manufacturers, arising out of a factory accident in which plaintiff sustained second and third degree burns
- Mediated settlement of claims arising out of the alleged explosion of a soda bottle, resulting in the loss of plaintiff’s eye
- Mediated settlement of claims arising out of the rollover of a van resulting in the death of the driver’s son; issues of choice of law and the application of different jurisdictions’ seatbelt laws complicated the case
- Mediated settlement of claims asserted by multiple plaintiffs against a municipal transportation agency and bus and component parts manufacturers, alleging injuries sustained in bus accident where the bus was driven into a passenger depot
- Mediated settlement of claims by plaintiff who alleged injury as the result of the abrupt termination of a new drug study
- Mediated settlement of claims of numerous juvenile incarcerated plaintiffs against a private prison company, where plaintiffs alleged that they were the victims of abuse and other mistreatment by the privately employed prison guards
- Mediated settlement of medical malpractice claims asserted against hospital in connection with care of elderly patient whose treatment for a fractured hip led to decubitus ulcers and eventual death
- Mediated settlement of thousands of asbestos claims in ongoing nationwide settlement program of asbestos company defendant
- Served as court-appointed temporary special master for appeals in the administration of the Agent Orange class action settlement from 1989-93; reviewed and made recommendations to the Court with respect to several thousand appeals taken by claimants from eligibility and claim award decisions made by the claims administrator
- Served since 1993 in New York as the federal and state court-appointed settlement master in the DES (diethylstilbestrol) product liability litigation; mediated group and individual settlements in over 1,000 cases brought against some 15 pharmaceutical company defendants
- Served since 2003 as a court-appointed mediator and settlement master in In re Baycol Products Liability Litigation (D. Minn.), a multi-district litigation involving thousands of cases asserting claims of personal injury arising out of the use of the drug Baycol; mediated the resolution of hundreds of cases, in both group and individual settlements
- Served since 2004 as court-appointed special master for discovery in In re Zyprexa Product Liability Litigation (E.D.N.Y.), a multi-district litigation involving thousands of cases asserting claims of personal injury arising out of the use of the drug Zyprexa; heard and ruled on numerous discovery disputes and issued many case management orders