Since joining JAMS as a full-time neutral in 1989, Mr. Young has conducted over 1,750 complex or multi-party mediations and arbitrations in over thirty states and abroad, and has been appointed as a mediator or special master (for discovery management or settlement implementation purposes) by various federal, state, and bankruptcy courts. Mr. Young is a member of the CPR International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution Panel of Distinguished Neutrals, an elected fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators and an elected “neutral” member of the College of Labor & Employment Lawyers.
Mr. Young has successfully mediated or otherwise served as a neutral in many diverse types of intellectual property and entertainment-related cases.
Request or download "What Counsel Say About Michael Young’s Mediation Style and Skills."
Mr. Young has been recognized by various publications and members of the legal community in New York, and more broadly, as a skilled and widely respected mediator and arbitrator. For example, in 2017, Chambers and Partners identified Mr. Young as one of the seven mediators in the United States recognized in Band One and noted “his deft, subtle handling of mediations…”
- Claim for copyright infringement and violation of "moral rights" statutes (under the laws of Puerto Rico and various Central and South American countries) brought by a composer and singer of Salsa music against a record producer
- Contract dispute between record/CD company and producers of popular “reality” television show
- Copyright infringement claim by photographer against the publishers of various golf-related books
- Copyright infringement claim by song-writer against high profile band
- Copyright infringement claim by a developer of a popular video game against the developer of another such game (also raising contract interpretation and patent issues)
- Copyright infringement claim by playwright against producer of a popular movie
- Copyright infringement claim by screen-writer against a studio that produced a popular movie
- Copyright infringement claim, under NYS common law, regarding recordings of classical music
- Member of a three-arbitrator panel in a Library of Congress Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel ("CARP") proceeding involving the allocation of a $200 million copyright royalty fund among various copyright holder claimant groups
- Royalty disputes involving the rights to the music of a popular composer/conductor and the rights to the artwork of a popular children’s illustrator
- Several patent cases, including one involving MRI technology and another involving cable television tuning mechanisms
- Several trade secret cases, including one involving the alleged taking of aerospace technology information
- Trademark infringement case involving the marks to a popular fashion line
- Trademark infringement claim relating to marks on pre-paid telephone cards
- Various contract disputes involving computer software and the design of web sites, including a claim by a professional sports league against the consultant who designed and built its web site, and various other disputes involving high tech companies or technology-related issues, including employment matters brought by workers in the high tech field