The JAMS Mediation Process
Rigorous preparation. Creative, collaborative solutions. Persistent follow-up. It's the power of difference only JAMS mediators deliver.
At JAMS, mediation is not limited to just a few hours or a day-long session. It's a process—one at which our mediators and case managers excel. We work diligently every step of the way—from pre-mediation calls and preparation to post-mediation follow-up—toward helping all parties arrive at the best possible outcome to their dispute. As the world's pre-eminent provider of mediation services, we draw on nearly four decades of experience in successfully resolving tens of thousands of cases of every type and size.
Unparalleled Neutral Expertise
JAMS offers clients access to the most qualified neutrals. Our mediation panel includes highly respected federal, state and appellate judges, former litigators and transactional attorneys from diverse backgrounds and practice areas. Recognized leaders in ADR, they are equipped with the legal and business acumen, credibility and settlement skills required to resolve even the most contentious and complex matters.
JAMS neutrals are on the case long before the day of mediation and don't consider their job done until settlement is achieved. They are dedicated to the entire mediation process, from reading the written statements to final execution of the settlement agreement.
Pre-mediation calls—JAMS mediators often provide parties the opportunity for pre-mediation calls in order to discuss:
- how to craft a mediation process tailored to your dispute
- when the mediation should take place and who should attend
- how to exchange information and whether opening statements will be allowed
- issues the mediator should be aware of that are not included in the written statements
During the mediation session—Using their extraordinary interpersonal skills, JAMS mediators listen closely to all perspectives, quickly evaluate party dynamics and establish rapport, leaving ample time for them to focus on:
- what issues are in dispute and what might motivate each party to settle
- making candid observations when appropriate and assisting both sides in assessing risk, overcoming impasse
- pursuing creative, collaborative solutions that are consistent with the facts of the case and geared toward preserving mutual interests and ongoing relationships
- ensuring that all parties trust the process and feel they have been heard and that all reasonable prospects for settlement have been considered
- guiding parties toward resolution
Post-mediation—In the event that all issues are not resolved during the mediation session, JAMS mediators are tenacious and follow up in an effort to keep parties engaged in the process and focused on resolution. They will persist until the case settles or every conceivable option has been exhausted.
Our neutrals augment their deep subject matter expertise and comprehensive knowledge of federal and state case law and statutes with extensive, ongoing training in ADR and developing trends, including academic research and recent court rulings on settlements.
Efficient, Affordable ADR
We offer affordable hearing formats, including half-day options, for every dispute. JAMS mediators have demonstrated their ability to resolve cases promptly and efficiently, providing significant savings of time and expense.
Responsive Case Management
JAMS case managers—many of whom have strong backgrounds in the law—receive ongoing training on legal and procedural issues. Known for their excellent customer service and efficiency in convening mediations and keeping them on track, they are also astute at helping parties select the mediator who best fits their needs.
Resolution Centers Worldwide
JAMS is the world's largest private provider of ADR services, with 26 offices in North America and Europe as well as affiliate offices in Italy, Ireland and The Netherlands.