Implications of DOMA and Prop 8 Rulings
Wednesday, July 31, 2013
Registration: 5:00 - 5:30 p.m.
Program: 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Reception to follow
JAMS San Francisco
Two Embarcadero Center
San Francisco, CA 94111
1.0 General MCLE credit to be provided.
On June 26, 2013 the United States Supreme Court issued the long anticipated rulings in the first marriage cases to reach the high court – United States v. Windsor, No. 12-307, and Hollingsworth v. Perry, No. 12-144. Taken together, the decisions represent a significant step in the central civil rights issue of this era – the rights and responsibilities of same sex couples to marry and to raise children.
Please join BALIF and JAMS for a complimentary panel discussion that will address the immediate family law and financial planning implications of these decisions and the questions that remain.
Topics to be addressed include:
- Overview of Windsor and Perry rulings and questions that remain
- Key issues in pending Ninth Circuit cases
- Financial planning issues for California residents before and after DOMA, including estate plans, ERISA, and estate, income and gift tax issues
- Issues for California employer benefit plans
- The impact of the cases on dissolution actions and resolving disputes in an ADR setting
- Edward P. Joy, Attorney at Law, Estate Planning, Probate & Probate Litigation
- Nickolas A. Kacprowski, Partner, Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Hon. Catherine Gallagher (Ret.), JAMS
- Hon. Patrick J. Mahoney (Ret.), JAMS
JAMS Events and Webinars
JAMS events and webinars bring you timely topics in alternative dispute resolution (ADR), industry-leading speakers and stellar networking opportunities. Explore our full list of upcoming events and webinars.
About JAMS – Local Solutions. Global Reach.TM
Founded in 1979, JAMS is the largest private provider of alternative dispute resolution services worldwide. JAMS successfully resolves business and legal disputes by providing efficient, cost-effective and impartial ways of overcoming barriers at any stage of conflict. JAMS offers customized, in-person, virtual and hybrid dispute resolution services through a combination of first class client service, the latest technology, top-notch facilities, and highly trained mediators and arbitrators. More information about JAMS is available on our About Us page, and you can connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook as well as our JAMS ADR blog.