The Hon. Michael J. Reagan (Ret.) spent nearly two decades on the United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois, most recently serving as chief judge from 2015 to 2019. Judge Reagan managed more than 5,000 civil cases and settled cases valued at more than $2 billion. As a jurist in one of the busiest courts in the country for class action litigation, he gained extensive experience managing multi-district litigation involving mass torts, mass actions and pharmaceutical and product liability matters.
Judge Reagan learned mediation skills early in his career as the hostage negotiator for a municipal police department. He is known for his tenacity and ability to settle cases by never giving up and never believing a case is unsettleable. He recognizes that settlement is a process and that reducing delay, limiting costs and taking the uncertainty of litigation out of the equation is always in the best interests of the parties.
Judge Reagan was elected by the judges of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit as their representative at the Judicial Conference of the United States. As chief judge, he was a member of The Judicial Council of the Seventh Circuit.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Two decades of experience on the federal court bench
- Appellate expertise sitting by designation on the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, where he wrote several opinions
- Prolific litigator who tried scores of cases as solo counsel and once had two juries deliberating simultaneously
- Uniquely qualified to conduct neutral analysis as a board-certified trial specialist and a judge who managed hundreds of trials and interviewed thousands of jurors regarding their deliberations and conclusions
- Business/commercial, including, but not limited to, antitrust, breach of contract, corporate governance, stockholder derivative actions and unfair competition.
- Civil Rights Act and Title VII
- Class action/mass torts and multi-district litigations (MDLs)
- Employment, including, but not limited to, Americans with Disabilities Act, contract disputes, ERISA, Fair Labor Standards Act, labor-management relations and labor disputes, noncompetition, retaliation, sexual harassment, wage and hour claims and wrongful termination
- Environmental, asbestos, chemical spills and toxic torts
- Health care, including, but not limited to, qui tam False Claims Act cases, denied coverage and medical benefits
- Insurance, including, but not limited to, bad faith and coverage issues
- Personal injury, including, but not limited to, automobile accidents, breast implants, premise liability, product liability, underinsured and uninsured motorists and wrongful death
- Pharmaceuticals/mass torts involving numerous MDLs, including, but not limited to, Onglyza (saxagliptin) and Kombiglyze XR (saxagliptin monohydrate and metformin); Roundup product liability litigation; Conserve hip implant product liability litigation; proton-pump inhibitor product liability litigation; Viagra (sildenafil citrate) and Cialis (tadalafil) product liability litigation; Johnson & Johnson talcum powder products marketing, sales practices and products liability litigation; General Motors ignition switch litigation; NuvaRing products liability litigation; and Mirena IUD products liability litigation
- Professional liability, including, but not limited to, fee disputes, legal malpractice and medical malpractice
Judge Reagan wrote for the majority when sitting on the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals in the following cases and joined the majority in 12 other cases:
- Huri v. Office of the Chief Judge of the Circuit Court of Cook County, 804 F.3d 826 (7th Cir. 2015)
- Boss v. Castro, 816 F.3d 910 (7th Cir. 2016)
- Flint v. City of Belvidere, 791 F.3d 764 (7th Cir. 2015)
- United States v. Collins, 796 F.3d 829 (7th Cir. 2015)
- United States v. Webb, 727 F. App'x 192 (7th Cir. 2018)