September 24, 2014
Sponsored by: JAMS
September 24, 2014 | 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM (Catered Lunch will be Provided)
1 Hour of CA MCLE Credit
Please join us for this complimentary CLE program with catered lunch on the taxability of settlements and awards. The tax treatment of settlements is always an important consideration when resolving cases. An open discussion of the tax implications of a settlement can narrow or close the gap between the parties’ positions and results in a settlement.
The goal of this seminar is to help attorneys be aware of how the tax treatment of various types of damages in a settlement may affect the overall payment obligations of their clients.
Please join JAMS for this educational opportunity and hear Robert Wood, a distinguished tax attorney of Wood & Porter, and meet our experienced panel of JAMS neutrals, as they explore the taxability of settlement awards in employment cases.
The expert presentation will focus on:
- The tax treatment of various types of damages and penalties in settlements
- Hypotheticals involving wage-and-hour class action cases, disability discrimination, sexual harassment, and other employment cases in which the parties may exercise allocation discretion
- How best to structure damages/awards to withstand an IRS audit
- What amount must be included in income and what can be excluded
- Deductibility of attorneys’ fees
- Treatment of legal fees relating to non-taxable awards or settlements
- Taxability of accrued interest on court judgments
JAMS Los Angeles Resolution Center
555 West 5th Street, 32nd Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90013
RSVP to Theresa DeLoach
213-253-9733 or email@example.com