Hon. Stanley F. Birch, Jr. (Ret.)
served as a United States Circuit Judge on the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals for over 20 years. During that time Judge Birch authored over 3,000 opinions for the court and participated in over 11,000 opinions as a panel member. Prior to service on the court, Judge Birch was an active trial attorney in private practice focusing on intellectual property and tax matters. Judge Birch’s book, A Unified Theory of Copyright
, co-authored with Professor L. Ray Patterson, was published in 2009. In addition to his extensive mediation and arbitration experience as a JAMS Neutral, Judge Birch has also heard a number of mock oral arguments, has been appointed as a Special Master by state and federal courts, and has appeared as an expert witness on United States law (both state and federal) before tribunals in London, Oslo, Singapore, Munich and Toronto.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Registered neutral with the Georgia Office of Dispute Resolution
- Instrumental in establishing the mediation office at the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Participated in the resolution of hundreds of civil disputes as reflected in the areas of law indicated below
- Was a frequent advocate in commercial and securities law arbitrations while in private practice
- Has heard hundreds of oral arguments before the Eleventh Circuit and has participated in numerous law school moot courts
Comments from Counsel from the Almanac of the Federal Judiciary
"What Counsel Say About The Hon. Stanley F. Birch, Jr. (Ret.)."