Thomas L. Creel, Esq. has served as an arbitrator specializing in intellectual property and technology disputes for more than 30 years. Mr. Creel is widely recognized for his expertise in resolving complex patent disputes and has handled dozens of proceedings concerning a broad range of technologies, including biotechnology, computer technology, medical devices, electronics and chemistry.
Previously, Mr. Creel was head of the Intellectual Property Litigation Practice Area as a partner at Goodwin Procter LLP. His experience as an arbitrator includes multiple appointments during his law firm practice. In 2008, Mr. Creel established an independent arbitration practice, where he continued to receive complex IP arbitration appointments from the ICC, AAA/ICDR and other domestic and international arbitral institutions.
Mr. Creel has litigated in courts throughout the United States and before the International Trade Commission. He is author of the treatise “Patent Claim Construction and Markman Hearings,” a seminal text in the arena of patent litigation that was first published in 2013 by the Practising Law Institute (PLI) and is updated yearly by Mr. Creel.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Arbitrator in intellectual property and technology matters for more than 30 years
- Listed on the approved arbitrator/mediator panels of the World Intellectual Property Organization, Center for Public Resources, Silicon Valley Arbitration and Mediation Center and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Appointed by several federal district judges to serve as a special master in patent litigations to handle discovery disputes, attorney-client privilege issues, Markman hearings and summary judgement motions
- Chaired arbitration panels that decided patent claim construction, infringement, validity, enforceability and the meaning of various license agreement terms directed to computers and razors
- Served as sole arbitrator in arbitrations deciding patent claim construction, infringement, validity, damages, interest and the meaning of contract terms directed to automotive electrical systems and breach of patent license agreement, enforceability of a non-compete clause and patent ownership concerning a medical device
- Served as a special master in patent litigations pending in federal courts to make recommendation on patent claim construction and assertion of attorney-client privilege and attorney work product directed to video games and computer technology
- Served on arbitration panels that decided various patent issues, including infringement, validity, antitrust, contract terms and royalties directed to contact lenses, smartphones, medical devices and pharmaceuticals, among others
- Served as a neutral evaluator as to patent claim construction, infringement and validity directed to a customer product
- Served on a mock arbitration panel in a major patent license dispute in the pharmaceutical area
- Served on an arbitration panel to decide a trade secret claim directed to military equipment
- Served on an arbitration panel deciding copyright infringement relating to photographs on a website; decided many domain name disputes as a sole arbitrator