Hon. Christopher C. Cross (Ret.) served as a county and district court judge for 18½ years in the most populous judicial district in the State of Colorado. He presided over domestic relations, civil, and criminal dockets.
Prior to his appointment, he practiced complex civil litigation, professional disciplinary administrative actions, both criminal defense and prosecution, and family law.
As noted by the Judicial Retention commission in its most recent evaluation, Judge Cross “received some of the highest ratings of any judge ... in the State,” and “Attorneys [and] litigants all have a high degree of admiration for his courteous and professional demeanor in the court room.” One appellate judge commented, “He is one of our best.” Judge Cross is known for his fairness, ability to listen, in-depth preparation, and the ability to resolve complex legal and factual issues—all with compassion and a sense of humor.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Regularly selected as the “neutral” arbitrator for complex civil cases while in private practice
- Innovated “mediation with a robe” in domestic relations court
- Selected to be on the team assembled by the Institute for the Advancement of the American Legal System (IAALS) to create the standards and rules for the Civil Access Pilot Project (CAPP) in Colorado, which morphed into the new Colorado rules of civil procedure regarding discovery and better access to the courts
- Certified mediator after attending a forty-hour mediation training at the National Judicial College in Reno, Nevada, June 2015
- Certified conflict coach after attending a two-day training course from Common Ground Mediation and Coaching, LLC, August 2015
- Three day Mediation/Arbitration training through JAMS-National, San Francisco (November 2016)
- Complex civil matters, including personal injury, bad faith, business disputes, construction defect litigation, and discovery disputes
- Family law matters
- HOA and neighbor disputes