Available to conduct virtual/remote mediations and other ADR proceedings on a variety of online platforms, including Zoom.
Charles H. Dick, Esq. is an experienced dispute resolution professional with over 25 years of experience as an arbitrator and mediator. He specializes in resolving an array of complex disputes, including class action litigation and cases involving antitrust, business and commercial, securities, employment, toxic torts, and professional liability issues.
Mr. Dick’s distinguished career as a trial lawyer spanned over 50 years and involved litigation and arbitration of complex business and commercial matters, as well as a wide range of high-stakes domestic and international disputes. For more than a decade, his practice involved service as lead counsel in securities class action lawsuits, which contributed to his reputation as a leading advocate in shareholder litigation and as a skilled practitioner in corporate governance matters.
Mr. Dick is known for his sound judgment and fair-mindedness. As an arbitrator, he has been described as industrious, intelligent, even-handed, and a quick study. While desirous of assisting parties in streamlining proceedings, he is considerate of counsels’ preferences and believes arbitration works best when the parties have confidence in procedures they design and effectuate.
As a mediator, Mr. Dick’s approach begins with patient listening and he has been described as both empathetic and perceptive. Though capable of being evaluative, he brings creativity to the process, and believes foremost that mediation is most effective when the mediator functions as a facilitator of negotiation by the parties. He encourages a focus on the parties’ long-term interests, and he is known for persistence in the search for a common ground.
- Lead counsel in antitrust monopolization litigation
- Handled common law and statutory unfair business practices, including unfair competition and related statutory trade practices law
- Litigated and mediated consumer class action litigation
- Experienced in addressing Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and related controversies
- Mediator in Franchisor-Franchisee disputes
- Arbitrator in post-merger controversies arising out of M&A transactions, including post-acquisition auditing and earn-out payments
- Experience in resolution of partnership and joint venture controversies, including rights of limited partners and minority members
- Arbitrator in biotechnology and pharmaceutical contract controversies, including licensing disputes and matters about Pharmacy Benefit Management (PBM) or third-party administration of prescription drug programs
- Handled disputes involving hotel investment and management agreements
- Arbitrator and Mediator in breach of contract matters, including consultation agreements, product distribution, sales representation, intellectual property licensing, Power Purchase Agreements and renewable energy/solar power matters
- Mediator of controversy involving NDA agreements, consultancy engagements, and sales representative “exclusivity” arrangements
- Breach of commercial real estate leases
- Arbitrator in cryptocurrency controversies
- Mediator in class action age discrimination litigation
- Arbitrator in employee discrimination based on age, disability, gender, and race
- Counseled and litigated executive level employment agreement and compensation issues
- Arbitrator in wrongful termination of management level employees.
- Knowledgeable in fraudulent inducement and misrepresentations in employment
- Arbitrator in Broker-Dealer employment agreements and related termination matters
- Mediator in employment disputes involving non-competition agreements and NDAs
- Arbitrator in breach of employment agreements, including separation entitlements
- Arbitrator in proceedings to enforce statutory and contractual employee benefits
- Experienced in indemnity agreements for corporate officers and directors
- Handled academic faculty disciplinary proceedings
- Mediator in clergy misconduct and abuse matters
- Membership on trial team for nationwide breast implant litigation
- Handled consumer product safety investigations and product recall issues
- Supervised nationwide litigation of toxic tort claims against consumer product goods manufacturer
- Managed redesign of product labelling in connection with consumer safety issues and risk of catastrophic burn injuries
- Litigated attorney professional responsibility and fiduciary duty matters
- Arbitrator in fee disputes regarding the reasonableness of attorney fees and division of fees among counsel
- Handled defense of complex attorney malpractice claims
- Experienced in accounting standards of care and accountant negligence matters
- Prosecuted and defended medical malpractice claims involving standards of care applicable to hospitals and health care providers
- Counsel and lecturer regarding director & officer fiduciary duties
- Arbitrator in disputes arising from sale of unregistered securities, forward stock sales, and legend stock transactions
- Lead counsel in federal and state securities fraud class action shareholder litigation, including jury trial to verdict in a major Rule 10b-5 securities class action lawsuit
- Handled multiple shareholder derivative lawsuits challenging action by corporate officers and directors and application of the Business Judgment Rule
- Conducted Special Board Committee Investigations
- Arbitrator in disputes involving “suitability” of investments and authority for securities transactions
- Resolved insider trading and short-swing profit taking by corporate insiders
- Experienced in director and officer insurance (“D&O”) coverage and cost apportionment