Charles H. Dick, Esq. is an experienced dispute resolution professional with over 25 years of experience as an arbitrator and mediator. He specializes in the resolution of a wide array of complex disputes, including antitrust, business and commercial, securities, employment, personal injury and professional liability issues.
Mr. Dick’s distinguished career as a trial lawyer spanned more than 50 years and involved litigation and arbitration of complex business and commercial matters, as well as a wide range of high-stakes domestic and international disputes. For more than a decade, his practice involved service as lead counsel in securities class action lawsuits, which contributed to his reputation as a leading advocate in shareholder litigation and as a skilled practitioner in corporate governance matters.
Mr. Dick is known for his sound judgment and fair-mindedness. As an arbitrator, he has been described as industrious, intelligent and a quick study. While desirous of assisting parties in streamlining proceedings, he is considerate of counsels’ preferences and believes arbitration works best when the parties have confidence in procedures they have designed.
As a mediator, Mr. Dick’s approach begins with patient listening, and he has been described as both empathetic and perceptive. Though capable of being evaluative, he brings creativity to the process and believes that mediation is most effective when the mediator functions as a facilitator of negotiation by the parties.
- Lead counsel in antitrust monopolization litigation
- Handled common law and statutory unfair business practices, including unfair competition and related statutory trade practices law
- Defended and mediated consumer class action litigation
- Experience in addressing Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and related controversies
- Counsel in post-merger controversies arising out of M&A transactions, including post-acquisition auditing and earn-out payments
- Experienced in resolution of partnership and joint venture controversies
- Handled disputes involving hotel investment and management agreements
- Breach of commercial real estate leases
- Broad experience in analyzing and resolving breach of contract and related contract interpretation controversies
- Counseled and litigated executive-level employment agreement and compensation issues
- Lead counsel and arbitrator in wrongful termination of management-level employees.
- Knowledgeable in fraudulent inducement and misrepresentations in employment
- Arbitrator in broker-dealer employment agreements and related termination matters
- Handled breach of employment agreements, including separation entitlements
- Counsel in recovery of employee benefits
- Experienced in corporate indemnity agreements
- Handled academic faculty disciplinary proceedings
- Membership on trial team for nationwide breast implant litigation
- Handled consumer product safety investigations and product recall issues
- Supervised nationwide defense of toxic tort claims against consumer product goods manufacturer
- Managed redesign of product labelling in connection with consumer safety issues and risk of catastrophic burn injuries
- Litigated attorney professional responsibility and fiduciary duty matters
- Counseled and testified in fee disputes regarding the reasonableness of attorney fees
- Handled defense of complex attorney malpractice claims
- Experienced in accounting standards of care and accountant negligence matters
- Prosecuted and defended medical malpractice claims involving standards of care applicable to hospitals and health care providers
- Counsel and lecturer regarding directors and officers (D&O) fiduciary duties
- Lead counsel in federal and state securities fraud class action shareholder litigation, including jury trial of a major Rule 10b-5 securities class action lawsuit
- Handled multiple shareholder derivative lawsuits challenging action by corporate officers and directors and application of the business judgment rule
- Conducted special board committee investigations
- Resolved insider trading and short-swing profit taking by corporate insiders
- Experienced in D&O insurance coverage and cost apportionment