The overwhelming majority of pro bono cases settle before trial. Thoroughly understanding the mediation process and improving negotiation skills can often result in a more favorable outcome for pro bono clients.
Topics to be covered include:
- Mediation in D.C. Superior Court: Understanding the mediation process and the court’s mediation program
- Preparing for negotiation and mediation: Planning your strategy and understanding your client’s goals
- Handling negotiations or mediations: Strong strategies for success and pitfalls to avoid
- Reaching an agreement: Creating a contract and resolving potential roadblocks
In this live event, the presenter, Hon. John M. Mott (Ret.) will take participants through the “nuts and bolts” of mediation and highlight negotiation skills that can be used across different Superior Court practice areas. Additional resources specific to key areas of pro bono practice (i.e., landlord-tenant law, family law, and consumer law) may be viewed on demand after the live training event.
Featured JAMS Speaker: Hon. John M. Mott (Ret.)—Mediator, Arbitrator, and Neutral Case Evaluator at JAMS
Time: 12:30 - 2:00 PM EST
- Business & Commercial
- Employment Law
- Estate Probate Trusts
- Family Law
- Higher Education & Title IX
- Personal Injury/Torts
- Special Master/Discovery Referee