Available to conduct virtual/remote mediations, arbitrations and other ADR proceedings on a variety of online platforms, including Zoom.
Hon. Terry B. Friedman (Ret.) conducted numerous settlement conferences, trials, motions, and various other hearings during his 15-year tenure on the Los Angeles County Superior Court.
He has established a reputation for being a patient, intelligent, fair, and collaborative judicial officer who relates well to parties and comes to his hearings thoroughly prepared. Three decades of experience in public service as an attorney, state legislator, and trial court judge have honed Judge Friedman’s ability to help disparate groups reach mutually acceptable solutions to high-visibility and high-stakes conflicts.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Experience mediating and arbitrating complex disputes spanning numerous industries and practice areas
- Conducted trials, hearings, and successful mandatory settlement conferences on a wide spectrum of issues, including many complex matters, while on the Superior Court bench
- Disputes involving banking, bankruptcy, breach of contract, commercial foreclosure, consumer, corporate, and partnership issues
- Settled in several-day mandatory settlement conference during three-week trial Red Light Abatement/public nuisance action by city to close adult dancing business on grounds it was front for prostitution
- Settled $2 million action regarding construction of guest house at luxury residential property. Achieved settlement by devising process for special master to determine defect, delay, and damages issues
- Settled $150,000 action involving damages from rain runoff due to faulty construction of new patio and pool
- Settled $160,000 construction defect dispute
- Wage and hour arbitration involving allegations of unpaid minimum and overtime wages and failure to provide meal periods and rest breaks at vocational college
- Arbitrated employment dispute involving non-payment of wages and wrongful termination
- Discovery referee on extensive and complicated motions in claim by renowned video game developers seeking more than $100 million in unpaid royalties, bonuses, and other compensation after termination by major video game publisher on grounds of insubordination, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duties not to compete or use proprietary material
- Resolved former employee’s pre-litigation mediation of confidential sexual harassment claim against doctor
- Resolved part-time employee’s pre-litigation sexual harassment claim against owner of insurance business
- Six-day arbitration of multi-million-dollar dispute involving compensation due to former partner in major medical practice. Dispute included complicated accounting issues and evidence of sexual misconduct.
- Resolved disputes involving high-profile talent, writers, producers, and production companies
- Conducted hearings on writ of mandate
- Settled disputes involving custody and probate issues
- Arbitrated dispute between hospital and insurer over non-payment of HMO member’s $300,000 emergency and outpatient bills
- Five-day arbitration involving cardiologist’s breach of contract and fraudulent inducement claims against hospital that allegedly induced him to relocate on basis of promised support and income
- Resolved disputes involving bad faith, subrogation, and coverage issues
- Successful mediation of dispute between city and two sureties regarding bond to complete construction of $6 million park following bankrupt developer’s default
- Arbitrated multi-million-dollar licensing dispute involving dietary supplement
- Arbitrator for dispute involving biotech licensing dispute
- Arbitrator for dispute regarding confidentiality agreement and use of formula and process to manufacture nutritional candy product
- Settled claims involving assault and battery, auto, construction site, elder abuse, premises and product liability, defamation, and malicious prosecution
- Resolved disputes ranging from simple two-party to complex multiparty and catastrophic claims
- Settled legal malpractice action against major firm for $500,000
- Settled $2 million wrongful death action against hospital and doctors involving prominent attorney who died of cardiac arrest immediately after seeing cardiac specialist and while on way to various tests
- Settled $165,000 action against imaging center for misdiagnosis after failed attempt to settle in prior mandatory settlement conference before another judicial officer
- Resolved disputes involving breach of contract, homeowner associations, eminent domain, inverse condemnation, landlord/tenant, and other real estate issues