Hon. William J. Furber, Jr. (Ret.) served as a Judge of the Court of Common Pleas of Montgomery County since 1993, including a five year term as President Judge from 2012-2016. During his 24 years on the bench he sat in the Civil, Family, and Criminal Divisions of the Court of Common Pleas, presiding over 1,000 cases which have gone to verdict or judgement and drafting over 300 opinions.
In 2008, he was appointed to the Judicial Ethics Committee of the Pennsylvania Conference of State Trial Judges, where he served through 2016.
In 2011, Judge Furber founded and presided over the Montgomery County Veterans Treatment Court. This court effectively addresses the needs of veterans in the court system who suffer from service related illnesses.
Prior to his appointment to the Court of Common Pleas, Judge Furber established his reputation as a litigator in a prominent Montgomery County law firm and as a solo practitioner. His broad litigation practice included trying personal injury, products liability, professional liability, and business/commercial cases. He also served as the solicitor to two zoning hearing boards.
While practicing, he developed an extensive arbitration caseload, serving as a neutral arbitrator in uninsured and underinsured motor vehicle cases.
As a member of the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office, he served in the major trials division, prosecuting all serious felony charges.
- Completed Virtual ADR training conducted by the JAMS Institute, the training arm of JAMS
- Member, State Trial Judges Ethics Committee, 2008-2016
- Hearing Committee Member, The Disciplinary Board of The Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Member, American Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Montgomery County Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Board of Trustees of the Borough of Narberth Municipal Police Pension Fund
- Member, Board of Directors of the Union Fire Company
- Member, Narberth Athletic Association
- Member, Judiciary Committee of the Montgomery Bar Association
- Judge, Court of Common Pleas of Montgomery County, 1993-2016; President Judge, 2012-2016
- Sole Practitioner, 1991-1993
- Litigation Specialist, Wilson, Drayer, Morrow and Furber, 1974-1991; Partner, 1976-1991
- Assistant District Attorney, The Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office, Major Trials Division, 1974-1976
- The United States Marine Corp., Reserve, 1969-1976
- J.D., Temple University School of Law, 1974
- B.S., with honors, University of Maryland, 1971
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More