Available to conduct virtual/remote mediations and other ADR proceedings on a variety of online platforms, including Zoom.
L. Joseph Loveland, Jr. joined JAMS in 2018 as a full-time neutral following decades of experience as a trial and appellate litigator. A Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, before joining JAMS he served as lead trial and appellate counsel for both plaintiffs and defendants in complex contract disputes, business torts and financial litigation throughout the United States. His business cases involved accountant liability, financial fraud and fraudulent conveyance, product distribution agreements, antitrust, securities fraud, intellectual property, health care, false claims and related governmental investigations and other matters.
Since joining JAMS, Mr. Loveland has served as mediator for complex disputes involving commercial contracts, real estate limited partnerships, distributor/supplier agreements, construction contracts, joint ventures, and securities claims. Many of these matters have involved multiple parties. Recently, Mr. Loveland has mediated several matters using video technology to allow the mediations to be conducted remotely. In addition, Mr. Loveland has served as an arbitrator in matters involving intellectual property and trade secret issues, personal injury and employment matters.
Mr. Loveland is recognized for his ability to evaluate the critical facts of his disputes to move them toward resolution. He has been selected as “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for Bet-the-Company Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation and Antitrust Litigation in the Atlanta area. His extensive litigation experience representing both sides of the table is the critical foundation to his success in bringing parties together for resolution.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- More than 40 years of civil litigation experience in complex business commercial and financial matters
- Substantive experience handling trial and appellate matters in multiple jurisdictions throughout the United States
- Successfully mediated disputes involving commercial contracts, antitrust claims, real estate joint ventures and partnerships, supplier/distributor agreements, and other matters
- Served as arbitrator for intellectual property and trade secret claims, personal injury suits, employment matters, and commercial contract claims
During his time as a litigator, Mr. Loveland served as lead counsel on a range of matters spanning various industries and issues. These include:
- Lead counsel for international tobacco company in litigation in state court in California and bankruptcy court in Delaware involving claims for more than $1 billion for alleged fraudulent conveyance, illegal dividends and alter ego arising out of inter-corporate transfers; resolved following multiple mediations
- Substantial experience in accountant liability cases in state and federal courts, including claims asserting violations of GAAP and GAAS and claims involving tax advisory services; several claims resolved through mediation and others tried or resolved on motions for summary judgment
- Lead counsel in case involving major Indian automobile manufacturer in actions filed in federal and state courts by more than 100 prospective dealers from 30 states alleging fraud and negligent misrepresentation, unjust enrichment and violation of federal and state dealer protection statutes; resolved through multiple mediations
- Lead counsel for major financial institutions in action filed by payment service company in federal court asserting claims of breach of contract and tortious interference with contractual relationships arising out of the merger of two financial institutions; resolved in mediation
- Lead counsel for major health care provider in dispute in federal court in Texas alleging claims of breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets with regard to software; resolved through mediation
- Lead counsel for Fortune 500 company in litigation filed in both federal and state courts by more than 50 independent vendors challenging the right of the company and an affiliate to distribute certain products directly to certain major accounts; settlement reached through extensive negotiations
- Lead counsel for real estate limited partnerships in litigation in the Court of Chancery in Delaware involving the interpretation of buy/sell provisions in joint venture agreements regarding major retail shopping malls throughout the United States
- Lead counsel for major oil and gas company in issues of breach of contract by former senior corporate officer involving expiration of stock options; resolved in federal court
- Lead counsel for Fortune 500 company against whistleblower allegations of financial and accounting improprieties filed by a former employee in litigation in both state and federal courts, including coordination the company’s response to investigations into these activities by the Department of Justice and the SEC
- Lead counsel for health care group in arbitration against a pharmaceutical company involving indemnification for Nevada propofol litigation
- Lead counsel for dental care provider in state court involving post-closing demands on an escrow fund created upon the purchase of a business