ABA Business Law Section 2013 Spring Meeting
Presented by the American Bar Association, Business Law Section
Spotlight on JAMS Speaker: James E. McGuire, Esq.
Topic: Planned Early Negotiation: Managing Conflict Portfolios by Early Intervention
Friday, April 5, 2013 | 8:00 a.m. EST
Panel discussion on planned early negotiation, how lawyers can serve their clients through early settlement efforts, address company protocols that aim to reduce cost by prompting early assessment and management of litigation risks, while maintaining a thriving business though innovative billing methods.
- John Levitske, Managing Director, Duff & Phelps, Chicago, IL
- Kathleen Bryan, President & CEO, International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution, New York, NY
- David H. Burt, Senior Counsel, E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company, Wilmington, DE
- James McGuire, Mediator, JAMS, Boston, MA
- Bennett Picker, Senior Counsel, Stradley Ronon Stevens & Young LLP, Philadelphia, PA
Spotlight on JAMS Speaker: Hon. Randall J. Newsome (Ret.)
Topic: All That You Can Leave Behind: Law Firm Insolvencies, the Unfinished Business Rule and its Impact on Business Lawyers
Saturday, April 6, 2013 | 10:30 a.m. EST
This program will discuss the recent wave of law firm bankruptcy filings including the notable filing by Dewey & Leboeuf in 2012. The panel will discuss the reasons why several firms have gotten into financial trouble and will discuss the litigation, including claims under the so-called “unfinished business doctrine”, that has arisen in subsequent bankruptcy cases.
- Jessica Gabel, Associate Professor of Law, Georgia State University School of Law, Atlanta, GA
- Paul Hage, Partner, Jaffe Raitt Heuer & Weiss, P.C., Detroit, MI
- David Lat, Managing Editor, Above The Law, New York, NY
- Honorable Randall J. Newsome, Mediator and Arbitrator, JAMS, San Francisco, CA
- Gerald Niesar, Partner, Niesar & Vestal, LLP, San Francisco, CA
- Albert Togut, Senior Member, Togut, Segal & Segal, LLP, New York, NY
April 4-6, 2013
The Washington Hilton
1919 Connecticut Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20009
JAMS Events and Webinars
JAMS events bring you timely topics in alternative dispute resolution (ADR), industry leading speakers, and stellar networking opportunities. Explore our full list of upcoming events and webinars.
About JAMS – Local Solutions. Global Reach.TM
Founded in 1979, JAMS is the largest private provider of alternative dispute resolution services worldwide. JAMS successfully resolves and manages business and legal disputes by providing efficient, cost-effective and impartial ways to overcome barriers at any stage of conflict. JAMS offers customized dispute resolution services locally and globally through a combination of industry-specific experience, first-class client service, top-notch facilities and highly trained panelists. More information about JAMS is available on our About Us page, and you can connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn and our JAMS ADR blog.