Patricia H. Thompson, Esq. is a full-time neutral at JAMS, concentrating her practice in construction, employment, surety, fidelity, financial insurance matters, and other complex commercial disputes in state and federal courts.
Her goal as an arbitrator is to meet the parties’ pre-dispute expectations of efficiency and cost reductions. In mediation, she balances facilitation, evaluation and perseverance to direct the best avenue of resolution for all parties involved.
Ms. Thompson has been regularly listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA Guide to America's Leading Business Lawyers, The International Who's Who of Construction and Business Lawyers, and similar Florida publications ranking attorneys in her areas of practice concentration. She is a fellow of the American College of Construction Lawyers.
Ms. Thompson has served as chair and in other senior leadership roles of major committees of the Tort and Insurance Practice and Litigation Sections of the American Bar Association.
- Served as chair of a construction arbitration panel concerning issues of material breach of contract and wrongful termination
- Mediated a class/collective action involving 200 employees of a construction industry company asserting FLSA overtime claims
- Handled construction delay claims by surety against architect and engineer
- Nonpayment and wrongful termination claims by contractors against developers
- Cases of developers against nonpayment claims of contractors, in arbitration involving claims of design negligence and defective work
- Numerous claims of nonpayment by subcontractors against contractors and sureties
- Numerous performance bond claims by public and private owners against sureties
- Negotiation of numerous take-over and completion agreements between sureties and owners
- Mediated a claim by a senior university employee for breach of employment contract
- Obtained injunctive relief to enforce non-compete agreements
- Investigated and resolved numerous administrative charges involving gender, age, race and national origin discrimination, harassment, and retaliation claims
- Handled case involving international telecommunication company against claims of gender, age, and natural origin discrimination by senior executive on expatriate assignment, resulting in summary judgment in favor of client
- Handled case at trial and appellate levels involving claims of gender, age, and natural origin discrimination by senior executive on expatriate assignment against international telecommunication company
- Litigated and arbitrated numerous wage and hour claims involving multiple types of businesses
- Settled matter between national credit reporting company against claim of age discrimination by sales employee
- Handled case involving national moving company against claim of gender discrimination by warehouse employee Multiple collective FLSA actions against national restaurant chain
- Multiple ADA premises liability actions against national restaurant chains and shopping center owners
- Numerous retaliation actions involving wage, workers compensation, and whistle-blower claims
- Served as sole arbitrator for a commercial dispute involving claims of fraud, FDUPTA, and multiple warranty claims
- Defended evidentiary proceeding on motion for preliminary injunctive relief in connection with contractual right of first refusal in sale of business; motion denied and case settled
- Handled numerous claims on notes and mortgages, including foreclosures involving low income rental properties
- Defense of claim in arbitration for damages for alleged breach of contract to purchase shopping center
- Handled claims on letters of credit
- Served as chair of a three arbitrator panel sitting in Miami for an insurance coverage dispute involving international choice of law issues concerning coverage under a policy of insurance sold and issued in Costa Rica and allegations of negligence on the part of the soliciting insurance broker
- Claims of reformation of insurance policy Dishonesty claims under Financial Institution Bonds
- Handled numerous claims for disability or life insurance coverage
- Numerous coverage opinions, cases involving issues of fidelity, forgery, and other claims under bonds and crime policies
- Several cases involving churches, issues including suit against a contractor who misused $50,000 in funds and employment related matters, and cases involving constitutional church-state statutes Providing employment counseling to pro bono legal aid organization
- Fraudulent claims in the area of elder law and care