Hon. Paul E. Troy (Ret.), has been a full-time Mediator, Arbitrator and Neutral Case Evaluator at JAMS since 2014, after serving for over 12 years as an Associate Justice of the Massachusetts Superior Court.
Before being appointed to the Superior Court, Judge Troy spent 30 years as an attorney in both public and private practice, serving as an Assistant District Attorney, Assistant United States Attorney in the Civil and Criminal Divisions, Partner and Chair of the Litigation Department at Sherburne, Powers and Needham, P.C., and Partner at Holland and Knight, LLP, after the two firms merged.
Before attending law school, Judge Troy served as a Lieutenant in the United States Army in Vietnam (awarded the Silver Star). He taught Civil Trial Practice for eight years as an Adjunct Professor at Northeastern University School of Law and was a member of the Superior Court Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee. For over 25 years, through the 2017 Supplement, Judge Troy was the co-editor and a co-author of the popular MCLE publication A Practical Guide to Introducing Evidence: Basic Foundations and Objections. From 2014 to 2020, Judge Troy has served as an instructor at the MCLE Civil Mediation Workshop, which is designed to train new mediators. He was the Workshop’s Chair in 2017 and 2018. He is a member of the MBA Dispute Resolution Section, and is a past president of the Massachusetts Chapter of the Federal Bar Association.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
In addition to his experience as a trial attorney, and presiding over hundreds of trials, motions and settlement conferences while on the Superior Court, since joining JAMS in 2014 Judge Troy has extensive further experience resolving complex disputes in mediation and arbitration. A sampling of the claims he has mediated or arbitrated at JAMS include:
- Business/Commercial/Intellectual Property
- Business, corporate and partnership disputes, including claims of G.L. c. 93A, freeze-out, excess compensation, fraud, conspiracy, breach of contract, interference with contract, breach of fiduciary duty, buyouts and subrogation, trade disparagement, conversion of trade secrets, confidential information, and other intellectual property.
- Claims involving land developers, builders, trustees, contractors, owners and homeowners, including construction and engineering defects, breach of contract, fraud, negligence, home remodeling damages, and other construction-related claims.
- Labor and Employment
- Discrimination claims involving race, age and handicap, military duty, wrongful termination, sexual harassment, retaliation, non-compete breaches, and Wage Act violations.
- Personal Injury/Product Liability/Torts
- Wrongful death, bodily injury, and other damages claims arising from vehicle accidents, premises negligence, snow and ice, falls, dog bites, defamation, and defects in personal and commercial products.
- Professional Liability
- Medical, engineering, architectural and accounting malpractice claims, as well as legal malpractice in construction projects, trial representation, estate planning, conflict of interest, and bankruptcy proceedings.
- Real Estate
- Breach of contract, trespass, eminent domain, conservation land violations, overburdening of an easement, nuisance, broker disputes and construction damages claims.
- Available to resolve disputes remotely through a number of videoconferencing options