Hon. Paul E. Troy (Ret.), widely respected as a fair, thorough and hardworking judge for more than 12 years as an Associate Justice of the Massachusetts Superior Court, joined JAMS as a full-time mediator, arbitrator and neutral case evaluator in 2014.
Before being appointed to the Superior Court, Judge Troy spent 30 years as an attorney in public and private practice, serving as an Assistant District Attorney, Assistant United States Attorney, Partner at and Chair of the Litigation Department of Sherburne, Powers and Needham, P.C., and Partner at Holland and Knight, LLP.
Judge Troy is calm and courteous, yet tenacious in mediating and arbitrating disputes, balancing sensitivity to the parties with knowledge and understanding of the relevant law. Before attending law school, Judge Troy received his B.A. from St. John's Seminary, taught in the Boston Public Schools, and served as a Lieutenant in the U.S. Army in Vietnam, where he was awarded the Silver Star and Purple Heart.
Judge Troy is a member of the ABA and MBA Dispute Resolution Sections, and was an instructor at MCLE Civil Mediation Seminars (2014, chair 2017). He regularly makes presentations on mediation subjects to law firms and various groups, including the BBA (2016) and the Nigerian Complaints Commission delegation sponsored by the U.S. State Department (2014, 2015).
The breadth of his experience contributes to his thorough preparation, thoughtful analysis, creative solutions, and unrelenting pursuit of a fair and equitable resolution of each dispute.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
Judge Troy has extensive experience in the resolution of complex disputes. A sampling of cases he has mediated and arbitrated at JAMS since 2014 include:
- Mediated and/or arbitrated business, corporate and partnershup disputes, Including M.G.L. c.93A demands; claims of freeze-out, excess compensation, fraud, conspiracy, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and conversion of intellectual property; and other business and commercial disputes such as buyouts and subrogations.
- Mediated and/or arbitrated claims involving land developers, builders, trustees, owners and homeowners, including construction and engineering defects, breach of contract, fraud, negligence, home remodeling damages, and other construction-related claims.
- Labor and Employment
- Mediated and/or arbitrated claims alleging discrimination involving race, age and handicap, wrongful termination, sexual harassment, retaliation, non-compete breaches, and Wage Act violations.
- Personal Injury/Product Liability/Torts
- Mediated and/or arbitrated claims of bodily injury and other damages arising from automobile accidents, premises negligence, dog bites, defamation, and defects in personal and commercial products.
- Medical Malpractice
- As Superior Court judge, adjudicated dozens of medical malpractice jury trials.
- While a practicing attorney, represented plaintiff in six-week medical malpractice trial.
- Professional Liability
- Mediated claims against attorneys alleging legal malpractice in trial representation, estate planning and bankruptcy proceedings, as well as conflict of interest claims.
- Real Estate
- Mediated claims alleging breach of contract, trespass, eminent domain, conservation land violation, overburdening an easement, nuisance, and construction damage.