Caroline Antonacci, Esq. settled thousands of cases for the New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division, First Department over nearly two decades. As the full-time Director and Special Master of the Appellate Division, First Department's Special Masters Program from 1999-2015, she tenaciously and creatively settled over 3,000 complex and high value cases involving a diverse variety of subject areas including but not limited to: Personal Injury/Torts, Construction/Labor, Family Law/Divorce, Business/Commercial, Insurance, Real Property, and Employment. She trained and supervised dozens of Special Masters at the First Department and has lectured and taught mediation to various New York area bar associations and law schools. She recently lectured at the New York County Lawyers Association Continuing Legal Education Institute in regard to commercial and personal injury cases.
In addition to Ms. Antonacci's extensive mediation experience, she is a former appellate attorney and litigator. As a result, she is uniquely qualified to provide intelligent, practical, and reliable neutral evaluation as part of a thoughtful, balanced, and thorough mediation process. She has served on the United States District Court-Southern District of New York mediation panel since 1999 and is well known and respected by thousands of practitioners in the New York legal community.
Preceding her service as Director and Special Master of the Appellate Division First Department's Special Master's Program, Ms. Antonacci served as a Principal Court Attorney for the Appellate Division, First Department for 6 years. Prior to her career in the Appellate Division, Ms. Antonacci served as Deputy Appellate Counsel for the New York State Organized Crime Task Force, as Assistant Deputy Attorney General for the New York State Department of Law Antitrust Bureau, as an Examining Attorney for the New York City Department of Investigation and as a Special Assistant US Attorney for the Southern District of New York with Rudolph Giuliani.
- Breach of contract, fee disputes, partnership disputes and dissolutions, fraudulent misrepresentation, and accounting fraud
- Settled hundreds of Labor Law 240(1), 241(6) and 200 cases with multiple defendants, complex insurance coverage issues, and most involving severe physical injury
- Resolved hundreds of cases involving discrimination and sexual harassment (age, race, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation), hostile work environment, wrongful termination and retaliation, non-compete agreements, and executive compensation
- Resolved an employment dispute involving a multi-million dollar intellectual property issue
- Resolved numerous mold, lead paint, bed bug, and illegal dumping cases
- Settled a multi-million dollar toxic tort case involving the transportation industry, national and international insurance carriers, and ultimately received Bankruptcy Court approval
- Family Law/Divorce
- Settled hundreds of matrimonial cases, many involving high profile sports, arts, financial and political figures with significant assets
- Resolved numerous matters involving foreign clients, international choice of law issues, pre-nuptial agreements, and pre and post-judgment claims
- Settled numerous cases involving complex coverage claims, bad faith, and coverage denial issues, D&O insurance as well as primary and excess insurance coverage for property and bodily injury claims
- Settled a $24.5 million dollar catastrophic injury case with complex insurance coverage issues
- Personal Injury/Torts
- Resolved hundreds of cases involving wrongful death, accident, catastrophic injury, products liability, New York City Transit Authority and Housing Authority, medical malpractice, automobile, construction site, defamation, libel/slander, elder care, product liability, design defect, and workers' compensation
- Settled a $23 million dollar catastrophic injury case where, prior to the mediation, the case was appealed multiple times to the Appellate Division and the Court of Appeals
- Real Property
- Successfully mediated complex real property cases involving sales and purchase agreements, construction, commercial leases, and foreclosures of commercial and residential buildings
- Resolved numerous real property cases with major New York City real estate developers and universities
- Resolved co-op and condo disputes involving boards and residents over financial issues, renovations, use of premises, and neighbor/owner disputes
- Successfully mediated several Times Square redevelopment condemnation disputes