Available to conduct virtual/remote mediations, arbitrations and other ADR proceedings on a variety of online platforms, including Zoom.
Viggo Boserup, Esq. is a Certified Electronic Discovery Specialist (CEDS) and an accomplished neutral who is widely respected by counsel for his impartiality in treating all parties fairly and ability to quickly identify critical issues. His exceptional listening skills and sensitivity toward each party make him particularly well suited for resolving emotionally charged, complex cases. Known for his fortitude in obtaining a productive result and going the extra mile, Mr. Boserup follows up with parties to effect a settlement, even after the mediation session is over.
Mr. Boserup’s work on more than 2,000 homeowner lawsuits following wildfires that raged through San Diego County in 2007 stands as an illustrative example of his expertise as a special master. Working in conjunction with another JAMS mediator, Mr. Boserup developed and kept organized a mediation settlement process that was lauded by attorneys involved in the cases. The process facilitated settlement of more than 99 percent of the claims.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Mediated more than 4,000 cases including multiparty, complex matters that have covered a full range of issues involving commercial, complex financial issues, construction, employment, entertainment, estate planning, fair housing act enforcement, insurance coverage and bad faith, intellectual property, personal injury, products liability, professional liability, property damage, special master, wrongful death, and other issues
- As a mediator of construction and workplace-related disputes, Mr. Boserup has designed dispute resolution systems within mid-sized to major institutional environments
- As an attorney, he specialized in probate, trusts, and estates; tax; finance; oil and gas (including 20+ years of managing working interests in more than 35 oil & gas leases); construction, real estate acquisition and development as well as the related areas of insurance coverage and liability
- As a businessman, Mr. Boserup has developed both commercial and residential real estate projects and has served as CEO of a national industrial construction company. He was responsible for developments and real estate and industrial construction projects across the country and has managed the daily operation and the strategic planning of a business involving projects with more than 1,000 employees in 26 states. Mr. Boserup has facilitated meetings with neighborhood groups, planning commissions, and city councils. As a real estate developer and an instrument rated private pilot, he has assisted in the resolution of aviation-related issues and has coordinated the development of consensus on issues ranging from economic development, planning, public works, safety, design, construction, public financing and the like.
- Aviation: Mr. Boserup is a licensed pilot and has successfully resolved a number of disputes involving the aviation industry including matters involving claims of pilot error, and product defect.
- Commercial: resolved numerous disputes ranging in complexity from two to multiple parties, including a class action involving 400,000+ claimants against supermarket chain for false promotion; issues have included numerous breach of contract, many unfair competition and theft of trade secrets, shareholder and partnership, partnership dissolution, commissions, securities churning and broker malpractice, commercial real estate, airplane damage and helicopter crash, and financial institutions disputes
- Construction: resolved numerous multiparty defect claims involving office buildings, foundations, roofs, walls, windows, mobile home park, concrete girders, landscape installation, swimming pool design and installation, golf-course construction, delay and impact damages on freeway overpass, and failure to comply with Fair Housing Act regarding disability access
- Employment: numerous wrongful termination claims based on age, race, and gender discrimination; constructive terminations; sexual harassment; failure to accommodate; retaliation; wage and hour disputes; whistle blower; hostile work environment; and breach of employment contracts
- Entertainment/Intellectual Property: claims for copyright and trademark infringement, trade secrets and unfair competition, libel and slander, net-profits participation agreement for video and cable, feature film rights, rights to successful television series, rights to internationally syndicated television series, and breach of contract for sequel production fees
- Estates/Probate/Trusts: restructuring of principal of trusts to settle claims; division of personal injury proceeds among survivors and estates; sale of estate assets to resolve claims against fiduciary; will contests, oral contract to make a will, and undue influence
- Health Care: experience in health care issues involving medical necessity, reasonable value, coding, Medicare pre-emption, networks, post-stabilization and a variety of other issues arising between payers and providers
- Insurance Coverage, Bad Faith, and Other Claims: stress-related claims, depression, carpal tunnel syndrome, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, Crohn’s disease, bi-polar condition, numerous other bad faith and coverage claims resulting from physical injuries, disabilities, diseases, and psychological illness
- Personal Injury: mediated more than 500 soft tissue injury cases; mass tort settlement division $2.5 million claim involving 134 parties; numerous claims ranging from slip and falls to catastrophic injuries; vehicular injuries involving autos, motorcycles, trucks, boats, commuter and freight trains; injuries on school property; construction site accidents; mold infestations; sexual assaults; and others
- Products Liability: rollovers of SUVs and autos; gas storage tank explosion resulting from pressure relief valve malfunction; injuries caused by alleged defective design of construction equipment, nail gun, asphalt spreader, tank liners, boat transmission, yard tractor, auto gas tank, seat belt, playpen, hip replacement hardware; injuries caused by inadequate warning or failure to warn in air bag malfunction, exploding lubricant, exploding boiler, skip loader, and wheel chair; multiple cases involving exploding lithium ion batteries causing injuries to mouth, teeth, hands, and upper and lower limbs
- Professional Liability: resolved over 150 medical malpractice claims, numerous legal malpractice claims, and claims involving pharmacists, accountants, insurance brokers, architects, and design professionals
- Real Estate: two-party and multi-party landlord/tenant disputes; failure to disclose; property line; mold damage and injuries; re-opened earthquake claims; breach of contract; breach of fiduciary duty; claims for damage caused by water intrusion, leaking bathtub caulking; view obstructions; disputes between brokers, buyers, sellers, and investors; landslide; and tenant claims of reduction in housing services under rent stabilization ordinance involving 111 parties
- Wrongful Death: cases involving drowning, vehicles, medical malpractice, carbon monoxide poisoning, failure to provide adequate security, negligent care, elder abuse, shootings, students, commercial airline crash
For a full list of case descriptions, please contact the case manager listed at the top of the page.