Hon. Eileen M. Brewer (Ret.) joined JAMS in 2016 as a 28 year veteran of public service to Chicago and Cook County, including 14 years as an Illinois State Court Judge in the Law and Domestic Relations Divisions of the Cook County Circuit Court. Judge Brewer has presided over thousands of civil cases in pretrial and trial stages. Bar associations have consistently praised Judge Brewer’s scholarship, first-rate legal ability, excellent work ethic, and outstanding judicial temperament.
She has mediated and settled well over a thousand cases and believes that negotiated outcomes offer parties the best chance for resolution on their own terms. Judge Brewer is well known among lawyers for her mediation skills and ability to settle cases that are viewed as unresolvable. She quickly analyzes complex legal and factual issues, diffuses emotionally charged situations, and gains the trust of clients and lawyers.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
Judge Brewer has substantial litigation, judicial, and settlement experience in the following areas:
- Personal Injury/Torts
- Domestic Relations
- Employment/Employment Contracts/Discrimination
- Professional Liability
- Government/Public Agencies
- Education/Colleges and Universities/Public and Social Service Agencies
- Civil Rights
- Professional Liability
- At JAMS, Judge Brewer has arbitrated and mediated numerous consumer banking and collection matters, including consumer credit card disputes, lender liability, mortgage issues, foreclosures, and
other lender/borrower issues.
- At JAMS and on the bench, Judge Brewer has tried, resolved, and arbitrated hundreds of actions for breach of contract, contract interpretation, fraud, partnership disputes, construction defects, condominium disputes, property damage, and real estate transactions.
- At JAMS and on the bench, Judge Brewer has managed, mediated, and arbitrated cases involving complex telecommunications issues.
- Personal Injury/Torts
- At JAMS, Judge Brewer has conducted dozens of telephonic mediations of personal injury matters connected to institutional settlement trusts. She frequently works with unrepresented claimants and is adept at walking parties through structured ADR processes.
- At JAMS and on the bench, Judge Brewer settled, arbitrated, and managed thousands of tort cases, such as wrongful death; catastrophic injuries and burn cases; medical malpractice; nursing home; industrial and construction accidents; premise liability; sexual abuse; defamation; auto, truck and railroad accidents, and product liability, including medical devices, pharmaceuticals, motor vehicles,sports equipment,and tools.
- At JAMS and as a sitting judge, Judge Brewer has resolved dozens of cases for breach of employment contracts: racial, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, and disability discrimination; sexual harassment; wrongful termination; retaliatory discharge; and Title VII.
- Family Law
- At JAMS and as a domestic relations judge, Judge Brewer has tried and settled hundreds of family law cases including same-sex parenting and separations; custody and parenting time; property disputes including distribution of assets and debts; family support and maintenance; and disputes regarding marital and nonmarital assets.
- Government/Civil Rights
- As a sitting judge, Judge Brewer settled and managed hundreds of cases involving the city, state, and local governmental entities, including police shootings; public schools; employment; civil rights; and premises liability cases. Judge Brewer settled a number of multi-million dollar civil rights cases brought against municipalities and other governmental units.
- Education/Colleges and Universities/Religious Institutions/Public and Social Service Agencies
- At JAMS and as a sitting judge, Judge Brewer has settled many matters involving sexual misconduct and sexual harassment in religious institutions, public and private grammar schools, high schools, and colleges and universities, including Title IX issues
- Judge Brewer has settled numerous abuse cases against public and private social service agencies, foster care agencies, and adoption agencies
- Judge Brewer has settled cases involving discipline, school sports, and disability
Completed Virtual ADR training conducted by the JAMS Institute, the training arm of JAMS.
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Judge, Cook County Circuit Court, Chicago, Illinois, 2002-2016
- Law Division Motion Judge, 2009-2016
- Domestic Relations Judge, 2003-2009
- Municipal Division Judge, 2002-2003
- Chief Counsel to the President of the Cook County Board of Commissioners, 1994-2002
- Key policy advice areas included:
- Construction of Cook County Hospital
- Consumer fraud
- Employment policy and litigation
- Excessive force, Cook County Sheriff and Cook County Jail, Juvenile Justice
- Public utilities/telecommunication
- Assistant Corporation Counsel, City of Chicago, 1988-1994
- Federal civil rights litigation, employment, labor, excessive force, First Amendment and other constitutional issues
- Associate, Corporate Litigation, Jenner & Block, Chicago, Illinois, 1987-1988
- Harvard Law School, J.D. cum laude, 1987
- University of Chicago, Ph.D., 1984
LoyolaUniversity of Chicago, M.A. with honors, 1974
- LeMoyne College, B.A. with honors, 1973
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More