Hon. Joseph R. Brisco (Ret.) joined JAMS following 21 years as a judge with the San Bernardino County Superior Court. During that time, he served as Supervising Judge of the Civil Departments, Presiding Judge of the Appellate Division and, for several years, was assigned to hear all of the Writs of Mandate in the county. Most recently, he presided over the mandatory settlement conference department, serving as a settlement judge.
Prior to taking the bench, Judge Brisco spent 14 years as a civil litigator in San Diego, where he handled serious and catastrophic injury cases—involving deaths, brain injuries and amputations—arising from products liability, premises liability, and motor vehicle accidents. He also served on the San Diego County Arbitration Panel.
Judge Brisco has presided over hundreds of jury trials, bench trials and settlement conferences. He has extensive and diverse experience resolving disputes, including cases involving business/commercial, employment, medical malpractice, real estate, elder abuse, product liability, and personal injury issues, including boating accidents.
Judge Brisco has a reputation for being prompt and thoroughly prepared. He manages his cases efficiently, with a touch of levity and humor. He is regarded by counsel as firm but fair.
- Dispute between city and restaurant regarding zoning
- Dispute between state regulators and multiple California milk producers
- Dispute involving fraud allegations against partners in egg ranch and trucking company
- Numerous contract disputes between businesses and purveyors
- Numerous contract disputes between contractors and subcontractors regarding highway improvements
- Numerous disputes with major financial institutions arising from mortgage crisis
- Shareholder derivative suit involving motel and restaurant corporation
- Partnership dissolution disputes, including matters involving companies in ranching, trucking and restaurant industries
- Real Property
- Dispute between city and 260 mobile home owners regarding conversion to resident-owned subdivision
- Several disputes between HOAs and their membership
- Dispute between school district and adjacent property owner regarding road easement
- Several disputes between private land owners over road easements
- Dispute between homeowners regarding denial of access to common area riding trails
- Numerous disputes regarding property boundaries
- Personally handled 54 eminent domain cases filed by major utility company
- Experience resolving employment disputes involving wage and hour, wrongful termination, discrimination, failure to accommodate and harassment issues
- Please see Judge Brisco's employment biography for a comprehensive overview of his experience employment biography
- Professional Liability
- Numerous cases against physicians and hospitals involving misdiagnosis of disease and negligently performed surgeries
- Personal Injury/Torts
- Extensive experience resolving wide array of personal injury disputes, including matters involving boating and railway accidents, medical malpractice issues and elder abuse claims
- For a comprehensive overview of Judge Brisco’s experience, please visit his personal injury biography