Bruce A. Friedman, Esq. is an accomplished dispute resolution professional who has mediated and settled a wide range of cases including class action matters and serves as an arbitrator and discovery referee.
Mr. Friedman began his neutral career in 2011 following 37 years as a trial lawyer handling cases in the areas of insurance, class action, professional liability, business, real estate, and entertainment. He was lead trial counsel in dozens of jury trials, bench trials, and arbitrations. He routinely represented clients in high-stakes litigation.
In 2013, Mr. Friedman was named by the Daily Journal as one of the top neutrals in California. He has been recognized by Chambers USA in insurance litigation and described as a “great strategist” with a broad commercial litigation practice. In 2012, Bruce was named as the Best Insurance Lawyer in Los Angeles by Best Lawyers in America.
Clients note that Mr. Friedman’s background leads him to understand the complexities of business disputes and the leverage points on both sides of a case. He keeps the parties engaged, knows when to talk and when to listen and when to let the client have a cathartic moment. He is always prepared and thoroughly invested in a mediation even before it begins with pre-mediation calls and meetings. He understands where we are coming from having been in the trenches on the same kinds of cases that he is mediating. His demeanor is very conducive to effective mediation and he excels at being direct but diplomatic.
- Business/Commercial Disputes
- Mediated and arbitrated contract, partnership, joint venture, post-closing, dissolution, bankruptcy, and other business and commercial disputes
- Class Actions
- Mediated consumer class actions involving false advertising claims, RESPA, TCPA, Privacy, and other statutory claims
- Mediated securities class action matters including a case before the U.S. Supreme Court
- Mediated wage and hour class action disputes
- Mediated and arbitrated many disputes involving employment, discrimination, harrassment, and wage and hour class actions as litigator and mediator
- Employment practices liability insurance disputes regarding discrimination, harassment and other related employment claims
- Handled class action claims asserting age discrimination in employment as litigator and mediator
- Numerous wrongful termination claims regarding pregnancy, disability, and harassment
- Numerous sexual harassment cases involving law firms, entertainment companies, and hospitality establishments
- Mediated and arbitrated disputes involving the financing, production, distribution, bonding, and insurance of film and television productions, and profit and licensing disputes between studios and talent
- Mediated and arbitrated coverage disputes involving issues arising under CGL, D&O, Professional Liability, EPL, Surety, Fidelity, Entertainment, Property, Life, Disability, and Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist policies
- Represented case involving the California Commissioner of Insurance in insurance insolvency proceedings and litigation disputes
- Settled several insurance cases involving brokers, agents, and managing general agents in insurance business disputes
- Professional Liability/Malpractice
- Mediated and arbitrated legal malpractice actions
- Mediated and arbitrated professional liability claims involving accountants, realtors, insurance brokers/agents, stock brokers, investment advisors, and professional trustees
- Real Estate
- Mediated buyer/seller/broker disputes
- Mediated real estate disputes, including specific performance, lease renewals, title insurance, mortgage, and other real estate matters, such as development and finance
- Arbitrated individual, limited partner, and tenant-in-common (TIC) disputes