JAMS Neutral Lisbeth M. Bulmash, Esq., joins JAMS following nearly 20 years as a conflict resolution practitioner and a co-founder of an alternative dispute resolution (ADR) firm. She resolves civil and commercial disputes of all sizes, including complex multi-party disputes.
Before starting her ADR firm, Ms. Bulmash served as a litigation attorney in a diverse array of firms, including a law firm specializing in defense, a law firm representing primarily plaintiffs and a national property casualty insurance company. These varied legal experiences prepared Ms. Bulmash for her career in mediation and arbitration, where she primarily handles business commercial, personal injury, professional negligence, employment, estates/probate/trusts and real property cases. She has established a unique way of anticipating parties’ needs and interests through her decades of experience.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
Ms. Bulmash has been a full-time neutral since 2002. Before practicing in the state of Texas, she had an active ADR practice in Michigan and Ohio. She has completed over 300 hours of mediation training. She obtained her initial mediation training at the Oakland Mediation Center in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., and her basic training workshop in family mediation at the Mediation Training and Consultation Institute in Ann Arbor, Mich. She is a frequent speaker and course instructor on a variety of ADR-related topics.
Ms. Bulmash has resolved a wide range of civil and commercial disputes, large and small, over the course of her ADR career. Select case examples include the following:
- Large commercial dispute involving breach of a written contract between a financial broker and a real estate developer developing a significant hotel project
- Declaratory judgment action declaring ownership of mineral and property rights against two large corporations stemming from heirship rights from an estate
- Breach of commercial lease contract between a large restaurant and the owner of the shopping center
- Breach of a commercial lease contract with a written guaranty between a landlord and tenant
- Breach of contract between a homeowner and luxury pool builder; action included breach of contract, Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA) and Residential Construction Liability Act
- Breach of contract case between an owner of a commercial building and a roofing contractor; claims stemmed from breach of contract, breach of warranty and violation of the DTPA and Consumer Protection Act
- Consumer debt action between a large municipality and residents for amounts owed to utilities
- High-dollar complex breach of a lease agreement involving seven commercial parties
- Complex companion cases between two large corporations stemming from the sale of a portion of one company to the other; claims included breach of an asset purchase agreement and issues surrounding a noncompete clause and counterclaims for conspiracy, aiding and abetting, breach of fiduciary duty and requests for temporary and injunctive relief
- Dispute involving a homeowner against air conditioning contractor alleging breach of contract, violation of DTPA, breach of express warranty and breach of implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose
- Dispute between large foreign engineering company against a former CEO and employee for breach of contract, quantum meruit, unjust enrichment, conversion, common law fraud, fraud by nondisclosure and tortious interference with contractual relations
- Pre-suit wrongful termination of employment case brought by property manager/employee against large real estate property company involving ADA claims, FMLA claims and age discrimination claims
- Complex guardianship and estate issues between the grandparents and natural father of a minor child following the death of the natural mother
- A will contest brought by the daughter of decedent/father against a nonrelative party claiming to inherit the estate in a will filed for probate
- Dispute stemming from the heirship of estate between the widow of decedent and adult child from decedent’s first marriage
- Opposition to probate of will as a muniment of title between the best friend of decedent and natural child of decedent
- Complex dispute of estate of deceased mother between seven siblings
- Dispute involving heirship issues and determination of administrator issues in a large family with six children, one deceased child and five children (grandchildren) of deceased child
- High-conflict estate dispute involving the appointment of an executrix between a stepmother/widow and the three daughters of decedent (stepdaughters)
- Declaratory judgment action to set aside previous agreement alleging that one sibling had used fraud and breach of fiduciary duty to convince the other sibling to enter into a family settlement agreement on the heirship action
- Served as an arbitrator in numerous balance billing disputes between insurance providers and practitioners for the Texas Dept. of Insurance
- Automobile bodily injury claim brought by a passenger on a bus; liability and damages were extensive
- Multi-million-dollar personal injury claim stemming from an auto accident involving an employee and his commercial employer; plaintiff alleged extensive and complex medical injuries
- Property insurance case brought by a property owner against an insurance carrier alleging agency and vicarious liability, violations of Texas Insurance Code, Texas DTPA claims and breach of contract for denial of a property insurance claim
- Underinsured motorist claim stemming from a rear-end motor collision
- Complicated property action between national bank and property owner involving the bank’s deed of trust lien and the defendant party’s subsequent purchase of a home through a foreclosure sale
- Multi-million-dollar eminent domain action between university and private landowners
- Property tax appraisal dispute involving multi-million-dollar commercial property and local government tax authority
- Declaratory judgment action to quiet title on a property and prevent foreclosure between a homeowner and the bank
- Complicated case involving compliance and enforcement of law regarding religious institution’s constitution and by-laws between the religious institution’s board of trustees and its deceased leader’s widow; petition demanded enforcement and compliance with the constitution and bylaws of the institution.
- Case involving pre-suit employment dispute between religious head and board of directors of a religious institution.